PDA

View Full Version : Elnec Programmer

Ioannis
- 21st February 2007, 12:04
This question is for those that are using Elnec Pikprog+.

I have recently got new PC with MSI 945P Platinum M/B and been having problems (random I could say) using the programmer. I can program HCS301 devices with ICSP but most often cannot program chips like 16F819 on the ZIF socket of the programmer.

The software of the programmer communicates at the beggining OK, but the errors usually happen on the chip ID checks or blank checking.

Moving to the old PC everything works fine.

Also I had to set the parallel port of the new PC to EPP only. Other setting from bios prevent the Software from communicating with the Pikprog+ at all.

Any help would be thankful.

Ioannis

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 17:20
mmm, i don't have the PikProg+ but the relabeled of Smartprog (BK844A). And i don't have any problem with...

Certainly Elnec have the answer or tips...

I NEVER do the ID check so far.

In Windows device manager, you could still try to play with the LPT1 proprieties. about those interrupts.. maybe :(

If you heard something from Elnec, please forward it here.

Ioannis
- 21st February 2007, 20:15
Hi Steve. Thanks for the reply. Be sure that first thing was to contact ELNEC. They say it is the first time to hear a problem like that.

I have copied the settings from the old PC. They are exactly the same like copy/paste. Unfortunately it is not reliable, does not program the chips although running the selftest and selftest plus does not show anything... :-((

Sure I will let you know how it goes. Now I am trying to install a PCI Epress card with 2 rs232 and 1 parallel port. When/if I manage to instal it (damn asians....) I will try the programmer.

Ioannis

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 20:19
INDEEED That was my next suggestion... i think it might solve some part of the problem.

Some on-board stuff are sometime painful... it's worst every year...

Ioannis
- 21st February 2007, 21:37
OK, board installed OK and checked with a printer. Now running the programmer software, is unable to see the programmer. I set LPT to LPT1 for the new parallel port, but SW does not find it. Tried also to give direct address, which now is in the range of CCD0 to CCFF, rather high relative to the on-board LPT port....

Oh, what a nightmare..

Ioannis

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 21:40
mmm... usually when you install the PG4Uxx software it also install a driver. Try removing the software and re-install the latest version. the you should be prompted to reboot your system.

i agree.. what a pain.

Can you disable the on-board LPT port in your BIOS?

Ioannis
- 21st February 2007, 21:49
Can you disable the on-board LPT port in your BIOS?

Yes I did it. First thing. So there is no conflict between the two ports. I am concerned about the address of the new port. It is too high. May be that's why PG4U does not see the port...

I 'll try to reinstall the sw and see what happens...

Thanks Steve.

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 21:51
if the driver don't allow you to move it to the usual LPTx address or use dedicated LPT name (in Port Settings), i don't know what could happen. :eek:

Ioannis
- 21st February 2007, 21:54
It is the SUNIX PCI Express card with 2 RS232 ports and 1 Parallel port. I suppose it is not possible to change the allocation. Obviously from BIOS it is not seen as it is add-on card.

Yikes...

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 22:00
in my current PC, i added a Serial card (only 1 COM port) and in the control Panel>> system>>>Hardware >>>> Device manager >>>>> PORTs(COM & LPT) >>>>>>> card name PCI Serial PORT... >>>>>>>>>>>>proprieties >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PORT SETTINGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> advanced

i can change the default COM name. But i don't know for your card :(

Ioannis
- 21st February 2007, 22:09
Yes I did change the name from LPT3 (default) to LPT1 as it is requested by PG4Uxx. But it seems this is not enough. I just finished installation of the new 2.35 version and restarted the PC but no joy...

It is 8 past midnight and I am very angry with it...

I 'll leave it for tomorrow...

Thanks for being near, although too far...

Goodnight (or day to you!)

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 22:11
Damn, ok i'll try to find some info in meantime. Good night!
it's 17:11 here... beer and meal time :D

Ioannis
- 21st February 2007, 22:13
Bon Apetit Steve!

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 22:15
MERCI beaucoup Ioannis!

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 22:20
ευχαριστώ πολύ!

Ioannis
- 22nd February 2007, 06:25
Hmm, very nice!

Παρακαλώ!

Google is your translator?

Is your programmer Parallel or USB? I 'm thinking of buying the new Smartprog2 with the USB connection. It is annoying. I am sure that the problem in the first place comes from the M/B (an MSI 945P Platinum). But could not have success in using it succesful although Selftest and Selftest plus are succesful.

Ioannis

mister_e
- 22nd February 2007, 22:50
Google is your translator?
Nope, i used Etaco (http://www.ectaco.ca/free-online-dictionaries/). I always cross my finger when i use something like that... you know why!

My Programmer is Parallel. It's a BK Precision 844A, which is the re-labeled of ELNEC SmartProg. I wouldn't hesitate to jump to the USB version and keep the other one on another computer if the problem arise here. 'Till now, everything i have from BK Precision never failed. No coincidence why they're on the market since over 50 Years ;)

Anyways, i did few search here and there and talked with some of my buddy who have the same programmer i have or any ELNEC... nobody have heard/experiment the problem you have... I agree it's annoying.

Sure if i hear something i will let you know.

and... Παρακαλώ as well ;)

Ioannis
- 23rd February 2007, 07:57
Thanks Steve. I am sure it is not a problem from the programmer side. 100%.

It is working absolutely fine on other computers. So it is something with the port or the ... connector. I susspect something here.

The translator of ECTACO is realy great, but ... dangerous sometimes. Imagine a typo in ash, typed as ass! And there are many much worse...!

Thanks again,
Ioannis

mister_e
- 23rd February 2007, 15:41
Yup, i think it's the case for all on-line translator anyway... this is why i always cross my fingers ;)

Sometimes when i need to laugh a little bit, i use the Google to translate a English page. It's like my english (some already heard me on the phone)http://www.mister-e.org/Pics/ROFL but worst and comes from an official site

For some english slang, i refer to Wikipedia.

Best luck with your programmer problem. As i said, if i hear something here, i'll let you know.

Ioannis
- 23rd February 2007, 19:47
Yeah! I got it! I can't believe it... How stupid can I be, I did't think of it first place.

When I needed to connect a small device like a hasp for an old program, between the Parallel Port and the cable that drives the programmer, suddenly it worked. Very good indeed!

From that I suppose it's the connector of the Motherboard a little more loose than normal and one and only pin was not making contact...

What a waste of time for nothing...

Now I can get rid off my old computer. At last!

You are French, aren't you? Is this why you think is funny your english talking?

Thanks for sharing the case.

Ioannis

mister_e
- 24th February 2007, 15:43
From that I suppose it's the connector of the Motherboard a little more loose than normal and one and only pin was not making contact...
:eek: kind of things that may happen i guess. Oh well at least it was simple... few days later but anyway :D

You are French, aren't you?
Yes i am French... but Canadian! (cool down Alain ;) )

Is this why you think is funny your english talking?
Talking and writing... but no i don't only think... i'm sure of it! Bah as long everybody understand one day or another...

Enjoy your new PC Ioannis.