PDA

View Full Version : Questions about i2C EEPROM

RunningMan
- 27th January 2007, 02:14
I am working on a project that will probably require some external eeprom from the uC..probbly a 16F690 with a 24aa32/64/128 flavor EEPROM.

My questions are surrounding not only how to setup the board to flash the EEPROM on the fly but also in estimating the size needed as well as how to best deal with the mapping in the code.

Essentially we are calibrating a device based on what we see as an incoming voltage...We need to trim it (offset) based on another parameter. I am kinda stuck on how exactly to deal with this in the code...yes I can make up lookup tables that translate into a graph but that only really deals with the intersection not the actual output...I guess we need to think of making it a 3d table or taking that result of the intersection on the slope and transfering that to an output equation that drives the device?

Also do you guys have any good suggestions on EEPROM programmers?

mister_e
- 28th January 2007, 21:51
I use BK precision BK844a, it support almost every EEPROM and many different Microcontroller brand as well.

If you need something cheaper... maybe those freebies IC-PROG, IC-Prog & pals could work.

You could still use Your PIC to program it. Use a .HEX editor and dump it to your PIC, the from your PIC to your EEPROM.

Some will also use a Excel sheet, Access file, simple .txt file... possibilities are endless.

RunningMan
- 29th January 2007, 00:11
It would be more ideal to In-Circuit program the EEPROM...be it from the programming header or using the PIC as a pass-thru device.

mister_e
- 29th January 2007, 04:09
both will work. What's the best... mmm, it's up to you to decide. I often use The PIC as a pass-thru device and find it really handy.

But it's me. Nobody work the same way ;)

If you have the budget and if you plan to use different EEPROM (and / or microcontroller) brands and model, an 'universal device' programmer always worth it's price... at least IMHO.