PDA

View Full Version : PCB - Cadsoft EAGLE users - help needed

flotulopex
- 3rd December 2006, 16:46
Hello,

I downloaded the light version of Cadsoft EAGLE.

I couldn't find a forum for this software - they have a newsgroup only.

This thread may not have his place here but at least, I would like to find some other people using this software too I could contact.

Thank you.

ronsimpson
- 4th December 2006, 15:09
I use EAGLE.
If you don't have $12,000.00 then use eagle.
I have used worse! for more money.

rwskinner
- 5th December 2006, 00:53
The biggest thing that kills me on the Eagle CAD is trying to find the proper components. I've been using IVEX for years until they went belly up. I lost my Key and of course can't get one now.

A Cheat Sheet for common components would be a life saver. I spend more time trying to find the proper resistors / capacitors. Before, I would just say I wanted a 1/4 watt vertical or horizontal resistor.

malc-c
- 11th January 2007, 22:10
Been using eagle for some time for hobby use. It takes a bit of getting use to but its not that hard to use. Yes the library of components are vast, but you find that you tend to use just a few more common ones, rather than dedicated sockets or devices.

The good thing is that more and more PCB houses are supporting Eagles BRD format allowing the cheap production of quality PCB's without having to understand the usual GERBER convertions.

geckogrotto
- 4th November 2007, 03:56
I'm using Eagle from Cadsoft and im having issue with not being able to place parts in exact postions. The only way to move parts that I can see is with the mouse. Is there a command I'm missing that will allow me to move a given part a specifc distance like move X,Y.

Ioannis
- 4th November 2007, 21:57
Have you tried to change the grid?

Ioannis

geckogrotto
- 5th November 2007, 02:05
I did try the grid and the alt grid but I was looking for something more along the lines of move to X,Y cords so that I can easily pop down parts where I know they need to be instead of dragging them around to get to the same spot.

Ioannis
- 5th November 2007, 07:47
Yes, I understand what you mean. I use the indicators for the x-y cordinators to place parts. The difficult is when you have a part that its cross is not on its corners, but somewhere in the middle.

Ioannis

geckogrotto
- 5th November 2007, 14:01
Yea you kinda need to have your own parts designed to have it all work like expected I guess but I did find the move command if anyone is interested.

To move a resistor named R1 its move R1 (X Y)

brid0030
- 5th November 2007, 21:03
I've been using eagle a bit, and I have found it necessary to build a number of devices. It's a bit of a struggle at first, but once it's done it's done.

Since we're on this subject, does anyone know a way of automatically filling in space on circuit boards? I make my own boards, so the less copper I etch away the better. As of now I have to put in a bunch of squares and triangles manually, and when I want to change something on the board, I have erase many of them and put them back. Now that I think of it, there may be a way to do this with photoshop or something just before printing the negative (basically draw black lines around all objects). Any thoughts?

dhouston
- 6th November 2007, 01:00
I've used P.C Logic - Circuit Layout for several years but they went out of business.

I found Eagle had too difficult a learning curve, plus it's costly for the fully featured versions.

I've been looking for something easy to learn and inexpensive, yet with advanced features. I found it in Sprint - Layout. Among its features is automatic ground planes with user settable clearance - a single mouse click turns it on or off. It doesn't allow precise X,Y placement of parts but, when necessary, it's quick and simple to break a part into individual entities which can be placed by X,Y and then regroup the individual entities. There's a demo version but I didn't try it so cannot tell you its limitations. The learning curve was a matter of minutes. At $50, it is an amazing bargain.
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

savnik
- 6th November 2007, 07:47
I've used P.C Logic - Circuit Layout for several years but they went out of business.

I found Eagle had too difficult a learning curve, plus it's costly for the fully featured versions.

I've been looking for something easy to learn and inexpensive, yet with advanced features. I found it in Sprint - Layout. Among its features is automatic ground planes with user settable clearance - a single mouse click turns it on or off. It doesn't allow precise X,Y placement of parts but, when necessary, it's quick and simple to break a part into individual entities which can be placed by X,Y and then regroup the individual entities. There's a demo version but I didn't try it so cannot tell you its limitations. The learning curve was a matter of minutes. At $50, it is an amazing bargain.
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html
I use this programm for several years and i have buy all versions.
It's very very easy to learn.