PDA

View Full Version : Need cheap i2c LCD for 16F877a

CodeShredder
- 3rd December 2006, 16:41
Hi, Can anyone reccomend a simple, text only LCD capable of being accesed as an i2c slave? The ones I have seen so far are around £50, surely there are some in a cheaper price bracket?

The LCD is to be used with the ME Labs LABX2 project board and 16F877A.

I have found some suitable code in these forums posted by Mister_e (thanks) for setting up and writing to an lcd but as I am still new to this hobby would appreciate, if you have it, code specific to the LCD you might reccomend.

Thanks for your help. For someone who is emerging from the technically simplified world of picaxes these forums are invaluable.

Cheers

mister_e
- 3rd December 2006, 20:08
is there any specific reason why you want a I2C LCD?

You could still build your own interface+ any cheap standard LCD?

The simple solution is still the serial LCD.

Start:
SERIN ....
LCDOUT .....
goto start

CodeShredder
- 5th December 2006, 21:18
I think I am correct in believing that the i2c connection will only use 2 pins whereas the serial connection requires several? I need all my available pins.

Thanks,
Mark

RFEFX
- 5th December 2006, 22:06
I think I am correct in believing that the i2c connection will only use 2 pins whereas the serial connection requires several? I need all my available pins.

Um..... I use the Parallax 4x20 Serial LCD display... it only uses ONE line for serial transmission. take this simple code to send hello to the display

DIFINE OSC 20 'Always define the Oscillator your using !!

SEROUT PORTA.5,2,["Hello"] '9600 baud True Driven will send this to the display

And here are some other Good commands:

SEROUT PORTA.5,2,[$11] 'This command will enable the Backlight $12 disables
SEROUT PORTA.5,2,[$0C] 'This will clear the Display
pause 5

It is Very Easy to use and program.... remember only Power ground and 1 wire for serial communication !!!

view the LCD DataSheet here (http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/audiovis/SerialLCD-v2.0.pdf)

mister_e
- 6th December 2006, 01:25
But building your own is so simple... SERIN, LCDOUT is all you need. Perfect application for a 16F84 and all other gathering dust LMAO!