PDA

View Full Version : 10f222

Meriachee
- 30th October 2006, 03:53
Hi folks

Just got the new 10f222 chips. I have three questions:
1. Are the ports defined as A.x in PBPro?
2. Is the 4k7 pullup required on the MCLR?
3. Why, when the chip is in the programmer does the Epic not see the sot adapter, and should the compiler see the chip (yes). The software patch that is available is a revision back. (that may be the issue)

These chips are certainly putting a strain on the eyeware!

Thanks to anybody who can help with these simplistic but obviously developmental limiting questions.

Gary

mister_e
- 30th October 2006, 04:03
Yeah another canadian with us! Welcome!

1. Are the ports defined as A.x in PBPro?

The port is defined as in the datasheet. GPIO. So you can use GPIO.1=1 to set the GP1 pin.

2. Is the 4k7 pullup required on the MCLR?

Yes if you didn't tell PBP to use this pin as a I/O.
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=543

3. Why, when the chip is in the programmer does the Epic not see the sot adapter

Be sure that your PIC is well install in the adapter and on the right side.

I don't have EPIC so i can't confirm if there's any special setting or else

Meriachee
- 30th October 2006, 16:50
New chip blues....

Does anybody out there have the Epic programmer with the sot adapter? It appears to me that the printing on the chip may be backwards to the "normal" orientation of the Microchip devices.

The chip does not have an orientation notch in one end, and the datasheet indicates that the printing orientation is the same as every other Microchip device I have. So, cautiously, I put the chip in the programmer and found the regulators to get hot, not entirely unlike the way they got hot one time when I wasn't paying attention to a 16f device. Problem is, when the chip is oriented the other way, the programmer doesn't see it.

Does anybody know what the "proper" orientation of the chip is?

(hope this initial experience isn;t a forshadow of things to come)

Gary

Ron Marcus
- 30th October 2006, 18:26
New chip blues....

Problem is, when the chip is oriented the other way, the programmer doesn't see it.

Does anybody know what the "proper" orientation of the chip is?

Gary

If the programmer sees the chip with the original orientation, then that is the right way. The regulators can get hot due to the amount of voltage that they have to drop. Try programming it, and see if it works. There should be a little dot at pin "1".
SOT adapters are expensive. I made a cheapo one by cutting a SOT outline on a little piece of PC board with a 5 pin header to match the programmer pins. I put a small bump of solder on all lands associated with the chip pins, then solder the Vss connection only. Next I exert pressure on the chip to gently push the pins against the "bumps". While doing this, I heat the Vdd pin and let it attach to the board. I program and unsolder. I have just soldered a corner pin, and pressed the chip into the board and held while programming. I usually balance a basketball on my nose to raise the level of difficulty, but it is possible :<)

Ron

Dave
- 31st October 2006, 00:44
Meriachee, I was a bit confused as there is no matking for pin 1. Look at the data sheet and the package marking as this tells you which way is up...

Dave Purola,
N8NTA

Ron Marcus
- 31st October 2006, 14:40
Pin 1 is where the dot is...

___
1 --|o |--
2 --| |--
3 --|__|--

Meriachee
- 31st October 2006, 15:38
Thanks all,

There is no dot on these chips. It will be trial and error.

keithdoxey
- 31st October 2006, 16:01
Thanks all,

There is no dot on these chips. It will be trial and error.

Is there a notch at one end, or a chamfered corner ?

paul borgmeier
- 31st October 2006, 16:22
You also can find pin 1 based on the location of the writing on the top of the PIC

Meriachee
- 31st October 2006, 17:09
This batch of chips has no indication beyond the part number printing. There is no dot or notch of chamfer or any identifyig marks. The printing on the chips appears to be upside down from what is indicated on the datasheet... The good news is that it seems to have taken a sample program, abeit with errors.

Can anybody elaborate on " Backup Calibration programming error at 0000"