PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control receiver - input source switching

jamie_s
- 8th October 2006, 13:38
Hi,

Heres another IR thread....

Im thinking about making a video source switch, to switch between 4 video sources, based on whatever audio input is selected on my home theater amp.

What i would like to do is have the unit read the IR remote control codes that my amp remote sends to the amp, and if it receives one of four specific codes, then will raise an output pin to switch some relays, to select that video source.

What im after is what i need to do to read the four required IR codes and store them in eeprom, so if the pic receives one of these, it will change the outputs.

Can anyone provide any information to help get me started on the IR stuff?
ie how i initially log the codes, and how i store them in the pic.

Thanks

sayzer
- 8th October 2006, 16:06
Did you visit Bruce's WEB site and had some ideas on IR controls?

It would be easier for you to follow your IR projetcs after that.

dhouston
- 8th October 2006, 16:08
It would help if you tell us the brand/model of the amp & remote. Knowing the IR protocol will simplify what you want to do. You also need to know the IR carrier frequency although this isn't critical if it's in the range of the TSOP1100 IR receiver module (33-56kHz IIRC).

ardhuru
- 8th October 2006, 17:31
Hi,

Dave is absolutely right; the job to decode the signal is so much easier if you can 'see' the signal.

One way to do this (again, learnt from Dave, thanks) just connect an IR receiver module to a sound card line-in, and capture the signal from your remote using an sound editor such as Goldwave; this would let you stretch the original raw burst on the screen enough to show the individual pulses.

Alternately, look at Dante's Infrax at http://www.geocities.com/tdanro/

This gem not only shows the signal in a picture-perfect rendition, it also identifies the protocol and gives a lot of other information which would make it very easy to use in your PBP program.

Regards,

Anand

mister_e
- 8th October 2006, 20:18
pretty interesting link.

jamie_s
- 8th October 2006, 22:01
thanks for the reply's, its a start...
The amp is a denon avr-1602.

Whats the link for bruces website?

Pic_User
- 8th October 2006, 22:14
Bruce's website
http://www.rentron.com/remote.htm

Ioannis
- 9th October 2006, 06:38
Doesn't your amp have video inputs? I saw the specs and it has 3 composite and 3 S-Video on the back and 1 Composite on the front. So?

Ioannis

cesarman
- 9th October 2006, 23:34
I just finish my. using part of this proyect.

h t t p : //www.web-ee.com/Schematics/VSwitch/vswitch.htm

the only part i change was the software, i use some ir RC5 library from this book Experimenting with the PicBasic Pro compiler.

h t t p : //developersbooks.com/ebooks/viewbook/38/17/1.html

now im working to add some OSD.

i hope this help.

octavio bru
- 16th October 2006, 11:12
I just finish my. using part of this proyect.

h t t p : //www.web-ee.com/Schematics/VSwitch/vswitch.htm

the only part i change was the software, i use some ir RC5 library from this book Experimenting with the PicBasic Pro compiler.

h t t p : //developersbooks.com/ebooks/viewbook/38/17/1.html

now im working to add some OSD.

i hope this help.

I am sorry to say that I do have this book, it was my first one about PicBasic Pro, and there are no RC5 routines in it. Unless there is a new edition and they have been included. Can you check that?

I have been looking for an easy to use RC5 library and haven't found any.

Thanks in advance

cesarman
- 16th October 2006, 21:20
mmm, sorry you rigth only for sony protocols. no RC5, well the only basic compiler is proton. Version 3.X, has RC5 fuction. Tested

Example

Device = 16F877
RC5IN_PIN = PORTC.0 ' Choose the port and pin for the infrared sensor
DIM RC5_WORD as WORD ' Create a WORD variable to receive the data
DIM RC5_COMMAND as RC5_WORD.Lowbyte ' Alias the COMMAND byte to RC5_WORD low byte
DIM RC5_SYSTEM as RC5_WORD.Highbyte ' Alias the COMMAND byte to RC5_WORD high byte

ALL_DIGITAL = ON ' Make all pins digital mode
Cls ' Clear the LCD
While 1 = 1 ' Create an infinite loop
Repeat
RC5_WORD = RC5In ' Receive a signal from the infrared sensor
Until RC5_COMMAND<> 255 ' Keep looking until a valid header found
Print at 1,1,"SYSTEM ",Dec RC5_SYSTEM," " ' Display the SYSTEM value
Print at 2,1,"COMMAND ",Dec RC5_COMMAND," " ' Display the COMMAND value
Wend