PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Visual Basic Express

skimask
- 5th July 2006, 00:08
Has anybody else downloaded and successfully used the Visual Basic Express download from Microsoft?
Specifically, writing serial port (or USB thru a converter, whatever works) software to do comm's with a PIC?

It's a free download, probably loaded with 'bloat-ware', and might not have the easy functionality like the old VB had, but I'll find out after it finishes downloading.

JDG

Luciano
- 5th July 2006, 08:56
Hi,

See this link.

How to access serial ports by using Visual Basic 2005:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904795/en-us

Best regards,

Luciano

skimask
- 5th July 2006, 23:20
So, if I get what you, and the article, are saying, for the purposes the average tinkering type person that needs a decent programming language, then Visual Basic 2005 = Visual Basic 2005 Express. Nothing 'crazy' like web access, massive database searches, serious graphics handling, etc. Just a 21st century replacement for good ol' GW-Basic (or Q-Basic).

JDG

skimask
- 24th July 2006, 03:46
I finally got around to installing and registering (which is a pain in itself) the Visual Basic 2005 Express, and WOW what a change from good ol' VB4 & VB5, or VB6 for that matter.

The syntax has changed dramatically, even though there is an upgrade wizard that brings old projects into the new way of doing things. Still, I can't seem to get my simple ol' 'Hyperterminal'-wanna-be program to work right.

If I'm right, I need to pick up a Visual Basic 2005 (whether it be Express or not) Reference manual of some sort, not one for VB6...correct?

JDG