PDA

View Full Version : broadband over powerline

smart_storm
- 19th June 2006, 12:15
hello

can any one help me how to make a powerline ethernet adaptor using a PIC microcontroller

any idea or what i shoud know to do that

thanks for any help

by the way are Xin/Xout helps or not

Melanie
- 19th June 2006, 13:48
It's been done... and it's cheap...

ZyXEL PL100 Powerline Ethernet (about US$60-80)

* High Speed 85Mbps Powerline Solution
* Uses existing power cables and plugs
* Easy to install and manage (Centralised management utility)
* Up to 300m - 3 times the distance of standard Ethernet over copper wires
* 56 Bit encryption for added privacy
* 16 PL-100's per private group
* 4 Groups per network

By the time you get a design, and the parts, and make a board, and do the program and factor-in all your time, it'll cost you ten times what walking down to the shops and buying one would cost. Then you can use all that extra time in taking it apart and learning how they did it...

smart_storm
- 19th June 2006, 15:21
hello melani

i dont't know why melani stop me again and again

if u know how? share your knowldge

if not it's not necessary to show us your scales to find the solution

i really know it's excets around 2000

but we can't get it here

so is it Forbidden to ask stubed questions or what

the question was how to make one

not is't already done

u r the administrator and it's not fair to peer me

or to show u how to deal with the site guests

Melanie
- 19th June 2006, 16:33
No, yours wasn't a stupid question, and that was a sensible answer on my part, so I honestly can't see why you seem to take umbrage with it.

If you want to make one, go ahead, I'm not stopping you - but like I said, you will spend many times more on your little project than what I pointed out was a readilly available, good, feature rich and very cheap solution to a complex problem. Interfacing Ethernet across power lines is not someting for a novice, if you suddenly stop posting, then we'll know why.

Oh, and thanks for the info Melanie... You're welcome, next time I won't bother replying on this forum...

Luciano
- 19th June 2006, 18:05
Hi,

An impossible task with a PIC microcontroller.
(You will need a 32bit MCU).

To develop from scratch a product like that, a group
of ten engineers will have to work about two years if
they use a chipset made for Power Line Communications
and if they buy the TCP/IP networking software.

Powerline Communication Chipset:
http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ad/MAX2986-AD.pdf

Best regards,

Luciano

Melanie
- 19th June 2006, 21:40
Certainly Luciano for a device of the complexity and sophistication of the ZyXEL product, but for something a lot slower and far more basic (although functionally it'll still do the job of conveying Ethernet over Power Lines), you can do it for around US$250 and about two weeks worth of effort (assuming you know what you're doing!).

If it's for yourself, it's just not worth doing. Far easier to grab your Credit Card (or if you don't have one borrow a friends) and order one ready made - it doesn't matter where you are in the world - nowadays the world is a small place, you can buy just about anything from anywhere.

If it's for a commercial project, then asking how to make one on this forum indicates you don't know what you're doing... so either you want the schematics and code handed to you for free, or you're looking at closer to two years rather than two weeks...

Either way, enjoy the experience...

> i dont't know why melani stop me again and again

I wasn't aware I'd ever stopped you doing anything. Please explain yourself...

smart_storm
- 20th June 2006, 07:57
first of all i'm sorry for my bad english
SORRY "MELANIE" and thanks for your answers
i'll beleve that it's imposible to do such thing assuming that "I don't know what i'm doing" NOW

so i'll go ahead but in the side of trying to buy something like ZyX.....

or to use that "max xxxx"

but finaly take a moment and take a look to this PDF file

http://www.uploading.com/?get=8MRYW3R3

is't a nice thing as starting point ?

at the end i'm sorry for "my excitation if it's the right word here"

thanks alot

Melanie
- 20th June 2006, 15:01
Actually that pdf of yours smart_storm is very poor. It's been copied from various publications and cobbled together as a 'thesis' for exam credits. Certainly read what the author says, but it is not an engineering document written by anyone with any grasp beyond copying other peoples work - and it's very old technology at that - so be careful with it. It may fool his teachers (who should know better), but not an engineer. Luciano's offering is a far better starting point.