PDA

View Full Version : Programers Needed

picawiner
- 4th May 2004, 22:26
Looking for pic programers wishing to make extra mula writing simple codes for LED flashing circuits. Please e-mail me for more information !!
Thanks
Pic-A-Winer

CBUK
- 5th May 2004, 15:02
if they are so simple, why dont you write them yourself, and it doesn't inspire confidence with a end quote like pic-a-winer!!!

picawiner
- 5th May 2004, 16:54
Because we are a very busy shop making Fiber Optic Lighting units and this is a new area for us and we do not have a programer, we can pay cash for simple programed chips with pin-outs please. If interested please call respond! Thank you

Keith55555
- 5th May 2004, 17:33
If you are using these commercially,may I suggest that this may be a very expensive way to go.I do protyping using pics but ultimately,anything that gets produced(I work in the toy industry) is masked on a much cheaper micro(the code is easily emulated on other processors).Especially for LED blinking where a cheapo,4 bit unit is usually sufficient.Do one prototype per product and then make an order for a masked unit.It could mean the difference of dollars per unit.Unless you are doing custom work or something with low quantity but it doesn't sound that way.-Keith

picawiner
- 5th May 2004, 17:40
What I need now is a program that will allow 10 5mm White LEDS to shimmer and twinkle. I would like a push button to allow for 5 differnt patters to be programed in to the pic. Any takers ?? Will pay $200.00 flat rate for program! If interseted contact me for more information!

Keith55555
- 5th May 2004, 17:52
The problem with your offer is the amorphous quality of the words,:"shimmer and twinkle( in 5 patterns).I have learned the hard way that unless 'shimmer and twinkle' are defined in terms of duty cycle and frequency,everyone is in a lot of trouble.Someone does something that shimmers and twinkles but is a different shimmer and twinkle someone else had in mind and then a simple job becomes 'backto the drawing board' and no one is happy.The person programming is out money if they decide to go back and 'fix' it and you wind up never trusting engineers.This is not the way to make a product.

Keith55555
- 5th May 2004, 18:17
As you can see,I am quite opinionated when it comes to 'shimmers and twinkles'.Many of my toys success was contingent on just the 'right' blink.So when I make this suggestion,I mean it seriously to address what I said above : consider having someone build you your unit with all the parameters variable; a sort of 'shimmer and twinkle' synthesizer.Then for this and future products you could twiddle with a few knobs and switches to change sequence,randomness,intensity,duty cycle,and frequency.When you found one you liked,you could store those parameters.I do that in a limited way myself when I want find something that is more appreciated visually than theoretically.

picawiner
- 5th May 2004, 18:20
Ok I need 10 LEDS to independantly give a shimmer or sparkle looking effect, so what ever duty cycle it takes to do that, then thats what I need! Now when you push the button, it whould then go to the next program and turn on and of random LEDS. It must be able to run off a 9 v battery!

Keith55555
- 5th May 2004, 18:52
Oh,I know what you want,we all do.I'm just trying to drive home a point that what you have not included in your job description,is an artist as well.To further make my point,I'll tell you what I'll do ; send me the basic unit as it is assembled without the controller(include the white LEDs,and may I say,I don't know who is going to be able to afford or should I say would want to afford such a thing at the cost white leds are X 10.If you did normal retail costing it should well sell for $150)you did not say if you have the capacity to design the support for this circuit(board design and you do know that white leds require a different voltage than regular garden variety,right?)and I'll do it for you for free(normally I could do a thing like this in two days but because of my introductory offer,I'll have it for you in two weeks at the most).Then I will not give you 5 programs but six.One to show you a display you would not like.Then I will include a short bit of code that will allow you to use it 20 times.And then it will not work anymore(I do this in all my prototypes in case the check that was suppose to be in the mail...isn't)If you want to bother to have someone figure out the unnecesary code then feel free and use mine in your final design.Then in the future,try your approach again and see if you can get the results you're after using the method of offering someone $200 to do something that is debateable in it's aesthetics.Go to a real design firm that would give you 'insurance' that you would need for your final satisfaction.I think you will be surprised at how much it would set you back.Not because of a function that is simple but for the satisfaction of getting what you want.And for those thinking this would be a good way for someone breaking in to cut their teeth,think again.Let disappointments/ mistakes occur for the purpose of learning but never let it include someone waving some pocket change at something we do because we love it.-Keith

Squibcakes
- 6th May 2004, 00:09
Oh Yeah, I bought exactly what you need late last year.

Only cost me $10 from K-Mart. Twinkles, shimmers, 8 different patterns and effects. WOW!

May be hard to find nowdays.....

They were called Christmas tree lights! If you really want to drive LEDS, you could buy the christmas tree lights and control box, and replace the lights with LEDs.

But hey I could use the $200 bucks..

:)

paul borgmeier
- 8th May 2004, 06:03
Snip -
Especially for LED blinking where a cheapo,4 bit unit is usually sufficient.

Question -

What is a cheapo, 4 bit unit? and what kind of ball park pricing are they for 10K units?

I have been using the 12F629 but would be interested in cheaper options. These costs about $1 now in larger quantities and are the most expensive part of the product.

Thanks,

Paul

Keith55555
- 8th May 2004, 14:21
Paul,hi,it's all about volume and start up and sophistication.When toys first started using micros,asia (as is usual)supplied the cheapest solution.They ignore the case which adds cost and put a 'die' of the chip on board and cover it with a blob of epoxy.They are 'masked' devices' so there's no e2prom which cheapens it some ,the mask price is ammortized over the life of the production run)So if you're talking about a product that has some major distribution,there are many factories that will take a prototype design and make it fit their available solutions.For the example that was given(shimmering,sparkling),the description screams these parameters.If you want to mail me and describe your application and ESTIMATED VOLUME of production(this can be over a year's period or more because China often will work out a price that is distributed over time that benefits everyone).One caution is,these guys deal in 'parts of pennies',so there is often strange haggling that goes on(I'll fill you in if we determine that this is how to go for you) If you want.They can do other stuff for you cheap concerning the product as well.-Keith

NavMicroSystems
- 10th May 2004, 23:30
@ all forum members

Take care, I have made really bad experience with this kind of business.

Who ever should agree to this job should create a "waterproof" type of contract.

The members I'm talking to will know . . .

rgds