PDA

View Full Version : PIC plus sound card?

TonyA
- 27th May 2006, 15:01
I was wondering if anyone could offer advice or opinions about the possibility of controlling a pc sound card with the PIC. Is it possible to use a sound card (stand alone, outside of a pc) with the PIC to create sounds?

I was thinking about using midi to control the sound card.

Thanks for any info.

TonyA

mister_e
- 27th May 2006, 15:49
i don't think so... or if it's possible, you'll spend much time than what it worth. Just look at their pinout and BUS speed requirement...

What do you want to do exactly?

TonyA
- 27th May 2006, 16:26
Hi,

I see. Well, I'm looking for an easy way to interface a midi wavetable synthesizer (or other type of musical synthesizer) with the PIC.

The Atmel Dream synthesis chip looks interesting (atmel2096?) it accepts a midi input. I'm looking around for other options. Ideally something very simple, controlled with the pic serially.

Thanks,
TonyA

mister_e
- 27th May 2006, 16:33
If you just want to control MIDI device, you can do everything with a single PIC. Now if you want to produce Noise, Sound, Instruments... that's another story. If it's just simple tones... no problem SOUND, HPWM could work in some range of frequency. For the others.. a simple High/Pause(us)/LOW/Pause(US) loop will work.

MIDI protocol is pretty simple and highely documented all around the web. Few minutes on Google will give you tons of links.

mister_e
- 27th May 2006, 16:40
Interesting, they have few possibility in their DreamSound Section
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=618

TonyA
- 27th May 2006, 16:40
Hi,

I have midi being sent from the pic. I'm looking for a synth chip to control.

I see these single chip synthesizers all around, usually made for pc sound cards and cell phones, etc. That atmel chip looks cool, but I am looking for other options. It doesn't have to be midi, but since midi is very easy to do that might be easier.

Thanks again,
TonyA