PDA

View Full Version : really baffled!

marad73
- 10th May 2006, 18:59
Hope someone has run into this - please help!
I run XP Pro, I have MPLAB 7.31, the latest firmware for Picstart +, and am using MicroCode Studio and have latest PBPW.EXE, all items properly installed and linked. (I think!)
Am trying to program a 12F509 with the proper include files installed and program compiles fine in MicroCode Studio.
However, nothing I do when running MPLAB will actually program the chip. I have set up the build files and included all I can find, such as .Hex,.ASM, etc. in the build!
Every time I try to run it and program the chip I get "ERROR: Unable to execute mpasmwin. Halting build on first failure" Then a short statement about BUILD FAILED and the time and date.
Please help me! What am I doing wrong, or what must I do to finish linking everything? Is there any more specific info I should get online to dig for the deep, dark secrets? (PS-I'm beginning to get really pissed off with this!) Again, I am new at this newer firmware and software! (Been using MPLAB release 3.00, of course with older chips and old 17C44 processor in Picstart + (that all worked fine for years!))
By the way Lester, I really appreciated your help in setting everything up in the first place! Still need more help, though!
Thanks again,
Ron
Glendale, AZ USA
[email protected]

paul borgmeier
- 10th May 2006, 20:20
I run your same set-up (except MPLAB 7.30)

To get up and running, try this (manually instead of letting MCS/MPLAB do it)

* Close MPLAB if open
* In Microcode studio make sure you select the MPASM box under
View menu Compile and Program Options/Assembler
* Use Microcode Studio to Compile Only (F9) (watch for errors)

* Start MPLAB.
* Under Configure menu select “Select Device” and select your PIC (make sure PS+ is green)
* Under Configure select/open Configuration Bits
* Under Programmer menu select the PicStart Plus
* Under Programmer menu Enable Programmer (watch for errors)
* Under View menu select Program memory
* Under Window menu select Tile Horizontally (to manage your views)
* Under File select Import and find your newly compiled .hex file (You should see the Program memory change)
* Make sure the Config bits are okay
* Insert you PIC in your PS+
* erase your PIC (Programmer Menu / Erase Flash Device)
* program your PIC (Programmer menu / Program)

Report back

Good Luck,

Paul Borgmeier
Salt Lake City, Utah
USA

paul borgmeier
- 10th May 2006, 20:35
Oops,

WAS:

* Under File select Import and find your newly compiled .asm file (You should

IS:

* Under File select Import and find your newly compiled .hex file (You should
I editied the above post to be correct

Paul

marad73
- 10th May 2006, 22:34
Dahhh!
I should have known how to import hex files. I should have known that the basic operating parameters of MPLAB wouldn't change that much! (but then, maybe they might, knowing Microchip. However, I'm glad they didn't!!!)
The 12F509 programed fine, however my code still needs work. I am on the right track, however.
Thanks again,
Ron
Glendale, AZ
[email protected]