PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

pippi
- 9th May 2006, 15:27
Hi all,

I have a great problem I can not able to fight. After checked that my PIC16F877A is not blank (using command Blank Ceck All), I tried to erase it and program it.
It seems that PIC has a code protection flag that doesn't allow the PRO MATE II to program it.
The message displayed is:

Program memory/IDs are NOT blank.
Configuration memory is NOT blank.

May anyone help me to solve this trouble?
Thanks a lot

mat janssen
- 9th May 2006, 17:35
Maybe your programmer cannot programm/erase the 16FxxxA version.
The programm algorime differs from the 16Fxxx types. (see datasheet).
An upgrade of your programmer or programmersoftware can help.

mister_e
- 9th May 2006, 21:56
I also heard some rumors.. some device programmer need some modification. Adding 0.1uF on VCC and GND diectly back to the Ziff connector is recommended. OR to try, just place a 0.1uF on the top of your PIC when programming.

As some A version are more noise sensitive, i'll not be surprise if this work... same for 18Fs i guess.

Some device programmer also allow you to modify some timings... may should look at that too.

But for PROMATE... i can't say. I don't have it, so i don't use it.

pippi
- 10th May 2006, 11:04
Hi all

thanks a lot for your precious suggestions. I've just tried to upgrade my PRO MATE II device programmer with the last OS firmware. This is confirmed by noting that the device programmer recognizes my PIC16F877A.
I know the problem is to execute a Bulk erase. In the ICSP guide from Microchip there is a suggestion for erasing code protected memory:
1. execute a Load configuration command with a "1" in all locations...
2.execute increment address...
3.execute a Bulk erase setup1...
4.execute a Bulk erase setup2...
5.execute a begin erase/programming...
6.wait 8 msec...
7.execute a Bulk erase setup1...
8.execute a Bulk erase setup2...

Have you an idea where I can find the source file to do it?(how to translate this suggestion in assembler or hex code)

Many thanks

paul borgmeier
- 10th May 2006, 13:42
pippi,

Have you checked with Microchip? They support their products well. Also, they sponsor a forum called

Programmers (PRO MATE II, MPLAB PM3, PICSTART Plus)

that is here

http://forum.microchip.com/tt.aspx?forumid=15

You might want to try there as well.

Questions -
Have you tried several 877A chips to make sure the problem is not a damaged part?
Can you program other 14-bit core PICs (e.g., PIC16F628)?
Is this a new problem that just developed with the 877A or have you successfully programmed them in the past?

Hopefully someone here will spot your problem as well.

Good Luck,
Paul Borgmeier
Salt Lake City, Utah
USA