PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Serial IO

JamieLynn
- 22nd April 2006, 17:40
Hi all, I am new to PIC. I have some experience with the BasicStamp.

I have been trying for the past few days to figure out the Serial IO on a PIC16F88 (unsuccessfully). I am using HyperTerminal (2400,N,8,1, No Flow control).

I have been able to get debug to communicate with HT, but been unable to get any legible data in or out with SerIn/SerIn2, SerOut/SerOut2.

Basically I have 2 laptops setup as described above (using serial port pin 3,5 to xmit, using pin 2,5 to RX). I have tried many variations of the below code. What is interesting (at least to me) is that When only the RX computer is connected I do get my "STARTING" message. When I connect the TX computer to the PIC I do not even get the start up message.

Ultimately, I would like to be able to read serially computer1, process a string (terminated by CR/LF). Then output serially (not using DEBUG) to computer 2 some text based on the processed incoming data.

I am really confused and not sure if problems are due to baud settings (I have tried many) or not comparing correctly (not really clear on if I need to use DEC or # to compare an ASCII string). Also I don't understand why I can't even see my startup line when both computers are connected.

Should I use SerIn or SerIn2?

TIA

----- CODE -------

OSCCON = $60
@ DEVICE INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT, MCLR_OFF, PROTECT_OFF, WDT_OFF
@ DEVICE PIC16F88

CMCON = 7 'Comparators OFF
ANSEL = 0 'A/D OFF -- Port pins all digital

DataIn Var BYTE

DEFINE DEBUG_REG PORTA
DEFINE DEBUG_BIT 4
DEFINE DEBUG_BAUD 2400

Input PortA.3
OUTPUT portA.4
PAUSE 100
DEBUG "STARTING",13,10

LOOP:
Serin PortA.3,4,[DataIn]
DEBUG "DATA ",DATAIn,13,10
GOTO LOOP

Dave
- 24th April 2006, 11:55
JamieLynn, What is your connection to the PC's? I see that you are using inverted data for the SERIN command so that tells me that you are using the simple resistor methode for connecting to the pc for your input, however your debug configuration as a default uses true logic for the output. Please tell us of the connection so we may help.

Dave Purola,
N8NTA