PDA

View Full Version : LCD question

Jhdgkss
- 17th April 2006, 09:12
I have an lcd which is not serial driven can i still use it with pic basic or is there a circuit that will convert into a serial driven display?
Also is there a good source for lcd displays on the net

J. Mark Wolf
- 17th April 2006, 12:56
You need to determine if the LCD you have has an on-board controller, or just row and column drivers. If it has an on-board controller, you can most likely drive it directly with a PIC. If you're REALLY lucky it will have an on-board SERIAL port, which makes it real easy.

Do a Google search on "Serial LCD" to educate yourself as to the differences of the various on-board controllers and serial port versions.

Jhdgkss
- 17th April 2006, 12:59
hi my lcd does not have a serial pin
can i still drive it useing pic basic or is there a circuit diagram i can use to make it possible to use

mister_e
- 17th April 2006, 15:10
Have a dedicated PIC wich will drive your LCD by using LCDOUT command. The default schematic is shown in the LCDOUT section of the PBP manual.

at the end the huge thing should look something like

Start:
SERIN SerialInput,SerialMode,SerialData
LCDOUT SerialData
GOTO start

BigWumpus
- 17th April 2006, 15:47
Look inside the documentation of PicBasic Pro and read around the LCDOUT-command. There is a drawing to connect "normal" LCDs.
Seriel LCDs are "anormal".

Maybe there will be a typenumber on your display. This will help us to find the documentation for you.

Jhdgkss
- 17th April 2006, 20:44
Thanks thats great still new to this.

Archilochus
- 18th April 2006, 01:07
As far as a source goes - crystalfontz offers several. Mouser & Digikey also sell an assortment