PDA

View Full Version : WebCam and PIC

micro
- 8th April 2006, 15:26
i would to inquire if can i use a USB WebCam and connect it directly
to PIC18f2455 and display the show on Graphical LCD ? if their is anyway rather than it please tell me

all i want to do it as below
i have a target A distance away from a point B about 100 meters
i want to determine the shape of a target and take a movement picture of it
by using a WebCam and use Laser beam to point its beam on the target
i use a Joystic to control a servo motor mounted on it a WebCam and a laser device.
on GLCD i can move a curser on the traget picture and emmit the lazer beam to point it on the target

that idea uses it warplanes to strike a target but it uses heatimages i think

sougata
- 8th April 2006, 17:28
Hi,

The USB of the PICs cannot be used as a master and it can only operate as a peripheral device. Also for your app , its so much data I doubt whether the PIC can handle it (even at 1 frame/s and QIF resolution) without using an external memory.Possibility of a dspic also rules out. The algo to detect edges would seriously require a Moreover in a GLCD you cannot control the depth of the pixels normally. Refresh is too low to activate a bit by bit PWM update scheme. Why not use a cheap video cam (cmos security cameras) with composite output. Do a overlay using a PIC on that video and get the co-ordinates data from your cursor position. A cheap LCD TV should do the job even a monochrome monitor.

harrisondp
- 8th April 2006, 23:16
I would do what sougata would do with using a ccd / cmos video camera with a lcd tv monitor.

Just take a look at the cheapest camera that supercircuits offers: http://www.supercircuits.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4232&HS=1 . It is a b/w ntsc camera that costs a wopping $11.95 bucks. That is really cheap, probably cheaper than usb cameras since you can get a billion of these cheap cameras, and only a few cheap usb cameras.

Harrison

micro
- 18th April 2006, 14:57
can these kind of LCD TV cameras have lenses could control zoom in and out
for a target far away about 100 meters and more to view that far target in the LCD TV cam ??

Ron Marcus
- 25th April 2006, 20:25
can these kind of LCD TV cameras have lenses could control zoom in and out
for a target far away about 100 meters and more to view that far target in the LCD TV cam ??

The higher end cameras have high res and 22 power optical zoom. 100 meters should be a breeze! Stay away from digital zoom because it degrades the pic quality. It becomes "pixelated" and useless. I'd suggest a camera with an absolute minimum of 410 lines of resolution. Pretty cheap nowadays in black and white. Check low light ability also if the lighting will be less than full daylight conditions.

Ron