PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started...

Julle Jansson
- 25th November 2005, 03:42
Hi!

I'm interested in learning PIC programming. I'm not a programming-guy, so picBasic sounds a lot nicer than writing assembler code....
What would be the best kit to buy to get started? Is the Pro Starter Pack a good place to start? Any books recomended?

This may seem like stupid questions, but there's so much info on the net, and my student economy doesn't alow me to do the wrong choice, so some advice would be very welcome :)

Julle / Helsinki

sincity337
- 26th November 2005, 07:59
Hi,

I am REALLY new to PIC programming as well. I finally talked my boss into spending the money and letting me take a course offered by RCG Research here in the U.S. At first I was overwhelmed, but the class was no frills and covered all of the basics, with excellent exercises.
If you can't go to one of these classes, I suggest you find any book that covers PIC Basic (PB). Buy a decent development kit, a good one is worth the money. And buy PIC Basic, or Pic Basic Pro. And then start with the examples that come with the development board. Also, read, read, read this forum and especially the FAQ's! There is a lot of really good information here, and lot's of excellent help (many SMART and friendly people here).
I've bought the books and hardware for the Basic Stamp, and even some books on programming in assembly, but nothing beats PB or PBP (Pro). I've got a Lab-X1 and PBP, and bought a few temp sensors (One wire) and have programmed using examples from this excellent forum!
Hope this helps. I know stuff is expensive, but if you really want to learn, then spending a little money up front will pay huge dividends in the end.

James