PDA

View Full Version : anyone using SpeakJet ?

tdavis80
- 6th November 2005, 06:16
I am trying to get the speakjet voice chip working with pbp. So far I have had limited success.

I am wondering what pins on the speakjet did you actually use and what did you pbp routine look like?

There seems to be lots of examples for everything except pbp and many of the examples are unique (meaning no two use the same setup).

Kamikaze47
- 6th November 2005, 15:09
If you dont already have it, all the info you will need is in the data sheet:

http://www.magnevation.com/pdfs/speakjetusermanual.pdf

You can interface with the chip using serial communication from a PIC. SpeakJet's pin 10 (RCX) is a serial input (TTL). Connect your pic like this:

PIC I/O Pin --------+------- SpeakJet Pin 10
|
---
| | 47k Resistor
| |
---
|
Ground

You can use pbp's SEROUT routine to communicate with the chip.

The default baud rate for the SpeakJet chip is 9600, but can be changed. I dont see any need to deviate from the default tho.

I recommend your read the chips data sheet if you havnt already.

tdavis80
- 6th November 2005, 15:19
I have already read the data sheet many times and checked out some sample programs for other basic's. As I eluded to earlier, different people seem to hook it up differently.

Some ground all pins except the I/O, some try one of the methods of flow control. I am not getting good results with the few configurations that I have tried.

Have you actually used one? If so, how?

Mine sounds like it has turrets.

Kamikaze47
- 6th November 2005, 15:37
Just to make sure, I take it you have the following connections?

- pins 1-4, and pins 6-9 (E0-E7) connected to ground
- pin 5 (Gnd) connected to ground
- pin 10 (RCX) connected to the PIC I/O pin (and also grounded via 47k resistor)
- pin 11 (Rst) connected to +5v via a resistor
- pin 12 (M1) connected to +5v via a resistor
- pin 13 (M0) connected to ground
- pin 14 (V+) connected to +5v

*edit* if you have some code you are trying, post it and ill have a look

sapteka
- 13th February 2008, 23:47
Yes, it works. I have tried this. See more at http://www.sapteka.net/pic16f877andspeakjet.htm
Regards,
Sapteka