PDA

View Full Version : 3v3 LCD

barkerben
- 4th November 2005, 22:41
Hi,

There are various threads out there about 3v3 LCD options.
I have a circuit where evrything except for the LCD runs at 3.3v,
so it would be really useful not to need 5v for the display.

What are my options? It seems that most mobile screens run at
3v3, but are tricky to interface, while most alphanumerics run
at 5 and are easier....

Any thoughts?

Ben

mister_e
- 5th November 2005, 16:52
It will be tricky only before you'll be able to make it work... after that.. copy/paste OR include you own routine. I don't see any problem to work hard on a routine that will be handy later for many other application.

Sure you can still choose to use the easy option, it's up to you!!! I think the question you should ask to yourself is: "does it worth that i spend many hours to do a routine to be use only one time, or so, while another solution is less time consumming?

What about your 3V limitation problem? Is a Step-Up or DC to DC converter a possible solution?
Can everything be run @5V without any problem?
Any available schematic of it?

Tell us more about your current project, maybe we can find a solution for you or give you some tips.

Ron Marcus
- 5th November 2005, 18:56
Hi,

There are various threads out there about 3v3 LCD options.
I have a circuit where evrything except for the LCD runs at 3.3v,
so it would be really useful not to need 5v for the display.

Any thoughts?

Ben

Hey Ben,
I had a project with exactly the same issue. The bnattery supply limited me to 3.3, and everything ran fine but the LCD
I used the HPWM output to pop the voltage up to 6 volts or so,and used a tiny regulator to bring it down to 5 volts. It used two diodes and two caps. I believe it would run without the regulator, but as the PS sags, it may create contrast issues. If you have a free HPWM line, this is the EASY way to go. I've got schems and software. The LCD drew just a couple of mils. Just for giggles, I did it also on a PIC without HPWM using interrupts. Timing is a little trickier especially if there are comms going on.

Ron

barkerben
- 5th November 2005, 22:12
That sounds great - in fact, I have managed to get my original circuit to work:

2 AA batteries ---> Step up to 5v to run RS232 level converter and LCD----> step down to 3v3 to run GPS and PIC

I had some problems, because the MAX233 ties its input lines to 5v. I externally tied them to a more helpful voltage, and now eveything works fine.

Out of interest, how can you up the voltage using PWM - did it use a voltage doubler capacitor circuit?

Cheers,

Ben

Ron Marcus
- 6th November 2005, 13:19
That sounds great - in fact, I have managed to get my original circuit to work:

2 AA batteries ---> Step up to 5v to run RS232 level converter and LCD----> step down to 3v3 to run GPS and PIC

Out of interest, how can you up the voltage using PWM - did it use a voltage doubler capacitor circuit?

Cheers,

Ben

You are better off, from a battery standpoint, to raise the voltage as little as possible. I would jump it to 3.3 and use the HPWM for the 5 volt line if you only need a few mils.
It is a capacitor doubler, I attached a .1 uF from the HPWM output pin to the anode of a shottky diode. This diode is then attached to the circuit to be powered. A second shottky diode feeds 3.3 volts to the junction of the cap and the diode. A second cap is attached to the output of the first diode and to ground. When the HPWM pin is at 0 volts, the first cap charges to 3.3 volts. When the pin goes high. the bottom of the cap goes to 3.3, so the top goes to 6.6 volts(less the diode drops). This goes through the second diode, and charges the cap. Pretty neat huh? You can feed the 3.3 volt supply from another PIC pin, so you can shut down the display when not in use. I needed to do this because my app needed to sit for a year on a set of batteries.

Ron

barkerben
- 6th November 2005, 16:10
I might try that - at the moment, I have no time to reetch the board - but there is an enourmous list of things I'd like to change when I get a chance, and your suggestion has made the list a tiny bit longer :-)

Thanks for your help,

Ben