PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Flow control serial communcations

sporker
- 2nd November 2005, 21:43
I have a yamaha receiver and need to establish null serial communications with a pic 16f877A and it. It requires hardware handshaking and I need advice on how to implement this with picBasic Pro.

attached is the relevant data from yamaha on this subject.

Any ideas?? Please Help!

arniepj
- 3rd November 2005, 12:16
Try looping the signal with a jumper on the Yamaha connector from cts to rts,and check how it operates.If that doesn't work then you will need a RS232 interface chip like the Max232 but the version with multiple I/O.The cts & rts will act simply as logic signals to send and receive data.

sporker
- 3rd November 2005, 21:34
By looping you mean to connect cts to rts? Do you think that would eliminate the "flow control"

I have some max232 chips that I can use also, but do they support/implement hardware flow control? I couldnt see anything on that from the datasheets. Why do you think I would need multiple I/O's if I will just read/write to rts&cts with 2 ports on my pic.

Any inside on this topic would be a temendous help. Thanks for your time!

-Alan

arniepj
- 4th November 2005, 00:10
Yes,looping means to connect rts to cts with the hope of eliminating the flow control.
I wasn't thinking ,but the max232 should be enough to do the job.Remember the max232 is to convert the pic output to the 232 voltage spec only.One output for xmit data ,one output for rts,one input for rx data,and one input for cts.You will need to determine the flow control logic.Basically you will output a rts(pic) to cts (Yamaha) to get data from the Yamaha.And vice versa to receive data from the pic.To know for sure exactly what to do,experiment with a pc first.I use a program called simple terminal (http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?sku=simpterm) free from bb-electronics.With this program you can manually toggle the rts and observe what happens.

Ioannis
- 4th November 2005, 20:26
Be carefull looping the rts-cts pins. If there are more than one byte to send or receive the slave may loose some of them. Your receiver is not a PC!

BTW, recently I bought the RX-V1500 receiver. Do you know where can I find the info's about the serial control?

Ioannis