PDA

View Full Version : Can I get an upgraded copy of Epic.ini from someone?

forgie
- 31st October 2005, 11:10
I need to program a 16F628A using my Epic quite urgently. I have already paid over $100 (Australian) for my Epic programmer, and there is now no distibutor selling the Epic software in Australia AFAIK. I have version 2.41, which won't program the 'A' version of the '628. I really just need the excerpt from the Epic.ini file which has the 16F628A details in it. (in other words the paragraph which starts as:

"[PIC16F628A]
CoreType=14
...."

If anyone could help me out by posting the 16F628A config data, that would be well appreciated.

....Somehow the thought of trying to prove to Melabs that I actually paid for this thing in the first place, only to be able organise a credit card order (I don't have a credit card, so it'll be a PITA) for a software update that really should be free isn't all that appealing.

Thanks people

muddy0409
- 31st October 2005, 12:20
Here ya go. From V2.42

Posted in error, without proper thought.

Greetiongs from sunny Adelaide.

Melanie
- 31st October 2005, 13:17
...for a software update that really should be free...

This is OT (and only done as devils advocate), but explain to me the concept that if I sell a product today, I should then work for the rest of my life for nothing so that everyone else can have the benefit of perpetual free updates?

forgie
- 31st October 2005, 13:56
This is OT (and only done as devils advocate), but explain to me the concept that if I sell a product today, I should then work for the rest of my life for nothing so that everyone else can have the benefit of perpetual free updates?

No no I like discussing such matters, especially given the current contentious climate regarding software patents. It is important to discuss these matters openly so people can actually make up their own minds and resolve their own attitudes.

On the topic of the Epic, I did think about this quite a bit actually. I justified my attitude based on the fact that the epic is an overpriced programmer which isn't worth what it cost (admittedly there were far less quality alternatives when I bought it, a few years ago now). Given that this programmer (the hardware of which is basically a couple of transistors and voltage regulators, which is badly designed) came with good, functioning software, I thought it was a fair deal, assuming I could rely on the whole package. The Epic is by no means MeLabs' cash cow, and I don't really consider the addition of a few lines in text file to be something worth me paying for.

If I was selling software (which I could be doing in a few years time), incremental updates (such as changing config files etc) would be free, whereas major version updates (new features and functionality) I would make people pay for. That's not to say it's the right attitude to have, it's just that for most software, incremental updates and bug fixes are free. Bug fixes in particular should ALWAYS be free, and I think that that point is important.

FWIW the reason I need to program this 16F628A is to upgrade the firmware on my brand new DIY-KIT 128 Programmer (http://www.kitsrus.com/upuc.html). This programmer takes power off USB and has a builtin ZIF socket (as well as an ICSP socket). It derives the 12V from the 5V usb supply using some clever diode and capacitor switching circuits. This allows me to program from my laptop (which doesn't have serial or parallel ports) without having to rely on a bootloader (sometimes when contracting I don't design the circuits, so I can't add in a serial port). I don't work for these guys, and I don't have any affiliation with them, I just know that they make a great featured programmer for slightly less then the Epic which includes FREE software upgrades. :)

forgie
- 31st October 2005, 14:10
Here ya go. From V2.42
Greetiongs from sunny Adelaide.

Wicked, thanks mate. Ahhh! Now I have the dreaded "Code programming error at 0000." message! I should be able to just drop the 16f628A into the socket in the epic and program it from there, right? It uses the same programming pins as the 16f84 AFAIK... I've never had this error when not using ICSP, what's a likely cause? I can read the code already on this '628a, but I can't write to it.... Arghhhhh!

muddy0409
- 31st October 2005, 14:27
Dunno. I've never played with a '628A. But you can bet your left whatname it'll be something simple and make you feel like an idiot for not thinking of it.

forgie
- 31st October 2005, 14:34
Dunno. I've never played with a '628A. But you can bet your left whatname it'll be something simple and make you feel like an idiot for not thinking of it.

Yeah, well just last night I spent over an hour trying to work out why the ICSP rig I'd made up for a new job wasn't working.... I had it all wired correctly but hadn't made an earth connection... I'm well trained in the art of making stupid mistakes. It's nothing like that here though, since the PIC is in the Epic's socket, not connected via the ICSP connector. Anyway it's frustrating the hell out of me - I can read the chip, I just can't write to it! I've never encountered such a problem before.... any ideas?

muddy0409
- 31st October 2005, 15:28
The only problem I have ever had with my EPIC is the programming voltage was down a bit. That little preset pot down under the voltage regs is the adjustment. Set if for 13 & a bit volts (I think that's about right, 13.4 or thereabouts? RTFM). Measure between ground (5) and VPP (4) on the empty on board 18 pin skt while telling it to program something.

Isn't Microzed selling EPICs any more??

I've got a lot of 16C715s to program and the EPIC is the only programmer I've found that will do them. So I plugged a 18 pin ZIF into the on board socket and it makes life a lot easier.

forgie
- 31st October 2005, 16:07
The only problem I have ever had with my EPIC is the programming voltage was down a bit. That little preset pot down under the voltage regs is the adjustment. Set if for 13 & a bit volts (I think that's about right, 13.4 or thereabouts? RTFM). Measure between ground (5) and VPP (4) on the empty on board 18 pin skt while telling it to program something.

Yeah I've had that problem occasionally with the supply voltage... it's currently pumping out 12.2V, but that's because I'm running a 12VDC adapter (this works fine with 18f452s, which is what I predominantly use). I tried plugging in two 9V batteries to give the full Vpp, and it gave out 13.6V, but still no dice.

I'm beginning to think that maybe it's a dud chip. It's so strange though, I can read it, but not write to it....? I've never seen this before.

Isn't Microzed selling EPICs any more??

Microzed have dropped MeLabs completely AFAIK. Dontronics are their Oz distributor now, and they aren't carrying the Epic.... On another note, the Epic I bought from microzed had two transistors missing, as well as a few dry solder joints on the bottom. The guy sent me a free 'parts bag' with some resonators and capacitors and **** like that, but it was still dodgy. $110 for a programmer with missing parts? Thanks Microzed. (Apart from that experience, everything else I've ever got through Microzed was fine, but their prices are hardly the best anymore)

muddy0409
- 31st October 2005, 16:31
Bloody hell. Are you still up, haven't you got a bed to go to???

Darrel Taylor
- 31st October 2005, 17:30
epic software updates are free!

http://www.melabs.com/support/progsoft.htm

What bothers me is that melabs WILL allow you to PAY for the upgrade if you're dumb enough like I was once.
<br>

mytekcontrols
- 31st October 2005, 18:54
Hi Darrel,

There is a difference between the paid-for and the not-paid-for versions, that does stand out. The not-paid-for version always pops up a window with a link for licensing information each, and every time you run it following an assembly of your code.

It may seem like a minor annoyance, but it can start to get to you after a while.

I also kinda like the idea of paying for the upgrade (although the pricing and delivery method could be looked at), since this helps support the guys that are bringing this stuff to us. I just wish that the paid upgrades would also be downloadable (the shipping kills you --- $8.00 for a $10.00 order).

Cheers,

forgie
- 1st November 2005, 04:52
Thanks for the link, Darrel. I have no problem with a splash screen or whatever on an upgrade that's free. Where is the link from to get to that page BTW? I'd swear I spent 20 minutes last night trying to find out if I could get free updates on the Epic software to no avail. Thanks everyone, now I just have to work out if I have a dud 16f628A or not.

Has anyone else encountered the whole 'it can read, but not write' thing before?

Darrel Taylor
- 1st November 2005, 05:05
Somebody had to point it out to me too.

From the Home page it's ...
Support | EPIC™ Plus PICmicro® Programmer | Beta software (http://www.melabs.com/support/progsoft.htm)
<br>