PDA

View Full Version : Securing Dupont connectors to headers

Demon
- 13th May 2024, 09:52
Have you ever used Loctite to secure a Dupont socket onto a header pin?

My initial plan was to do like many and use hotglue, but this particular situation requires a liquid that's less "thick", but I don't want it to be permanently secured.

So I was thinking of using a drop of blue Loctite threadlocker, but that seems still too strong. I'm pretty sure that stuff will infiltrate the socket and really jam it on there.

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/products/specialty-products/specialty/loctite_threadlockerblue242.html

I think that's the equivalent to Permatex's green threadlocker...?

The consensus over here seems to be hotglue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskElectronics/comments/z1ys51/is_there_an_adhesive_or_connector_i_can_use_to/

(I'd much prefer learning from your mistakes than from mine :D )

rsocor01
- 13th May 2024, 13:47
I have used hot glue before to secure a Dupont socket onto a header pin. But, even when I don't use the hot glue the connector never moves. Unless there is a lot of vibration, I don't think the glue is necessary. I would never use loctite for that. It is too liquid and too strong.

Demon
- 13th May 2024, 17:34
I have used hot glue before to secure a Dupont socket onto a header pin. But, even when I don't use the hot glue the connector never moves. Unless there is a lot of vibration, I don't think the glue is necessary...

Yeah, I've done some light hand tests using new parts; Dupont cable clip and header pin, that clip is relatively firmly secured.

It's mostly to prevent any problems during shipping.

This is for a flight sim controller (switches, LEDs, encoders and pots). Who knows what sort of treatment the enclosure might endure by an "avid gamer". I'd like to prevent problems, especially if a dab of glue will do, and it's in the hands of a hyper kid with an obnoxious parent that will cause me grief for a refund.

... I would never use loctite for that. It is too liquid and too strong.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've been reading some more on threadlocker liquids, and they're actually designed to seep into threads.

I don't think a 1/2 drive ratchet is gonna be a good idea to get the socket off the header. :D

rsocor01
- 13th May 2024, 17:39
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've been reading some more on threadlocker liquids, and they're actually designed to seep into threads.

I don't think a 1/2 drive ratchet is gonna be a good idea to get the socket off the header. :D

Also, some of those glue types release fumes when they are drying. The fumes can affect other parts of the circuit.

Demon
- 13th May 2024, 17:51
Also, some of those glue types release fumes when they are drying...

I did not know that.

I don't want unnecessary fumes in my workarea. Not just for me, but also for any plastics or synthetic materials.

I had stored a really nice set of speakers under my stairs. My heart sank when I noticed that the thin foam membrane around the speaker had totally degraded. Same with the foam in my Konica 35mm camera; totally turned to powder.

I know that the EVA foam that I'm using in the LCD enclosure is "supposed" to last millenia, but why risk it. A small vented paint booth is on my TO-DO list, especially for instant glue.

https://snibbs.co/blogs/foot-safety/is-eva-foam-biodegradable#:~:text=This%20means%20that%20even%2 0the,for%20potentially%20thousands%20of%20years.