PDA

View Full Version : KiCad - free PCB design tool

Demon
- 4th February 2024, 02:20
I've been using KiCad for a few months now and I can't say enough good about this software. The structure of KiCad is very well organized (I used default components to make my first test circuit):

- define a footprint in the footprint library
- define a corresponding symbol in the symbol library (add link to footprint)
- draw the schematic of your circuit (add link to symbol)
- draw the PCB of your circuit using schematic

Once you get the hang of things, it just seems to flow nicely (at least for me). I didn't take an online course at the beginning; I just jumped in after watching an intro video on youtube (I didn't save a link, sorry).

I just found a neat little feature. Many devices like an EC11 rotary encoder have support brackets that are not part of the electrical circuit.

Use the Rule Out Area tool in the footprint library, you can lock out the area under these supports as desired:

And that's it. You don't have to do what I was doing; adding little hatch marks on the front silkscreen to remind me not to put anything in that area.

Ioannis
- 5th February 2024, 19:03
And if you want this metal bracket be earthed, if it is not on the electric circuit, how can you do it.

Ioannis

Demon
- 5th February 2024, 20:04
I should have added a pic. I was talking about the metal supports that don't go through the PCB. The RK097 pot has 2 (bottom left unit), the 2 other through-hole supports are grounded:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Sd244b8c15fbb42558f822a44ef397562P.jpg

I know the switch will be secured, but I can't leave a support "rub" against traces. A metal burr could potentially cut through the epoxy protective layer.

It's just easier to avoid tracing through that area, than have to deal with some "freak untraceable ground" on a trace.

I try to plan so that any student/intern could assemble these without requiring keen observational skills. :D

Ioannis
- 6th February 2024, 12:34
Oh, I see. Got it now.

Ioannis