PDA

View Full Version : MCS vs MPLAB 8

MikeBZH
- 12th October 2023, 17:50
Hi Everybody,

From time to time it's good to sit and to reconsider one's own beliefs and maybe to optimize or chose an other way...

I have developped several projects with some PIC18LF2685 and PIC18LF26K22, using of course PBP under MPLAB 8 and PicKit 2/3. MPLAB X is a nightmare for me. I really dislike it but MPLAB 8 it now getting quite old.

For my future projects, with a PIC18LF26K22 what would be the pros (is any) of using Micro Code Studio ? Would it replace MPLAB 8 ? Would it replace PicKit3 as a debugger and/or as a programmer ? On the other hand what would be the cons ?

Thank you for your help

MikeBZH

tumbleweed
- 12th October 2023, 23:15
You can use MPLAB8 (MPLAB v8.92) as a programmer and debugger for both those chips with a PICKit3.
MCS won't let you do any hardware debugging, just programming. Any "debugging" under MCS is really done using software, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd stick with what you're doing. I still use MPLAB8 for any chips that are supported even though I use MPLABX for the others.

mpgmike
- 15th October 2023, 02:58
What need do you feel XC8 would fill that PBP currently does not? I did migrate to MPLABX, but to gain access to 16-bit PICs (with XC16). That was what I had to gain.

MikeBZH
- 15th October 2023, 08:01
Thank you for your answers.
Yes, I also went to MPLABX and XC16 for a development with a 24F chip. Very bad experience ! :mad:

Coming back to MCS, yes it is a little bit poor for debugging and MPLAB 8 should be better for this task.
But in the field programming without a PicKit may be interesting.

MikeBZH

PS : Please do not consider the :mad: in the title. It should be :) but I cannot change it !

tumbleweed
- 15th October 2023, 12:37
To do that you'll need to implement a bootloader and be able to transfer the program via a serial port link or some other method.
Is that what you're after?

Acetronics2
- 15th October 2023, 16:02
Thank you for your answers.
Yes, I also went to MPLABX and XC16 for a development with a 24F chip. Very bad experience ! :mad:

Coming back to MCS, yes it is a little bit poor for debugging and MPLAB 8 should be better for this task.

MikeBZH

Hi, Britton ...

for 16bits, you could try the MikroBasic Pro for DSPic ... eval version is free ... not so hard to turn to ... :rolleyes:

for MCS, you can buy the "Plus" license and then get the debug feature ...

I do use MPLAB 8.32 for 8 bits, for debugging purposes. But MPLABX 5.30 is fine for programming and using ICD4 ... ( also still have the v 2.35 on the computer !!! )
note my Old Picstart plus works fine with Win 10/64 !!!

Still sometimes use PBP with Win XP for the Pickit2 or ICD2 ...

Alain

MikeBZH
- 16th October 2023, 17:08
Trugarez braz AceTronics ! : (sorry, private joke :wink:)

A lot of options to explore.
I was not aware of all these development tools. It opens some interesting ways.

MikeBZH

Acetronics2
- 17th October 2023, 12:37
Trugarez braz AceTronics ! : (sorry, private joke :wink:)

MikeBZH

no need to bow down ...

long time I'm no more " super moderator " ;)