PDA

View Full Version : RF sensor network

Ron Marcus
- 23rd October 2005, 21:41
Greetings,
I would like to create a mini wireless network that will transmit data between a number of sensors placed around the perimeter of an area. The sytem needs to make sure the data packets get to their destination, which may be out of range from any one sensor. The intermediete transceivers need to therefore accept a data packet for another sensor, and retransmit it if the destination sensor does not respond. I have heard if star, ring, and mesh patterns for data transfer, but if all sensors are weighted the same in importance, how does one make sure the info gets to it's destination without bogging down the network while every other sensor retransmits the data?
Thanks,
Ron

Melanie
- 24th October 2005, 01:35
You need a protocol to achieve this... Do a web search for "Token Passing" as one solution...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/tokenrng.htm#xtocid3

G8RPI
- 24th October 2005, 09:03
Hi,
If you want an off the shelf solution, The new ZigBee standard should do what you want.

Robert G8RPI.

Ron Marcus
- 25th October 2005, 18:45
Thanks for the suggestions. I will do a little more research, and also do my best not to reinvent the wheel.

Ron

gluphus
- 14th February 2006, 22:23
I am starting my first zigbee project this month.

I would like to have more cooks in the kitchen (so to speak) as to make this go well. If anyone is interested, PM or email me.

My current setup is PICBasic Pro, PicDemZ, Chipcon CC2420.

We plan to port to CC2430 in the summer.

Raflex
- 19th September 2006, 05:47
I am starting my first zigbee project this month.

I would like to have more cooks in the kitchen (so to speak) as to make this go well. If anyone is interested, PM or email me.

My current setup is PICBasic Pro, PicDemZ, Chipcon CC2420.

We plan to port to CC2430 in the summer.

Hello gluphus, do you have some code examples in picbasic? i have picdemz and cc2420 too.

Thanks in advance

Ioannis
- 19th September 2006, 09:42
Soon I will test the Xbee's from MaxStream. They seem to be very easy to use with long range (up to 1.5Km).

I 'll post the results and sample codes if anyone is interested. They are based on Zigbee protocol.

Ioannis

Raflex
- 19th September 2006, 23:04
Thanks Ioannis. I will try to buy the started kit.

gluphus
- 20th September 2006, 01:48
Yes, I have code examples for the msstate (Dr. Reese) Zigbee* stack.

I am currently working on hardening the zigbee phy layer, in effect making one only have to worry about a mysql db and picbasic on the RFDs.

Raflex, you can email me at dthusma at hotmail and/or instant messenger.

Payatronico
- 20th September 2006, 05:49
you maybe need another kind of sensors managers like Neuron chips, then can handle the comunication and can tell you if the package was delivery or not.

http://www.toshiba-components.com/products/generalpurposelsi/neuronchip/index.html

Raflex
- 21st September 2006, 00:07
Interesting... Thanks