PDA

View Full Version : EPIC 2.46 beta and 16f876a-i/sp

andyf97
- 9th October 2005, 17:15
I have a big problem programming 16f876a-i/sp on an epic programmer. The epic manages to program PIC16f877A-20 no problen.

I have a very simple circuit Allowing ICSP drawing attached shows how it is connected.

power is supplied to the chip from a very stable 5V supply.

The ground from the epic is connected to the ground on the chip.

The clock and data lines for programming are connected correctly.

I have a 10k resistor from 5v connected to pin 1 via a 1n4148 to prevent the chip erasing.

The programming voltage is taken directly to pin 1

I have two oddities, the first is the 10k resistor and the diode, maybe these are not so perfect and also the 16f876a-i/sp is not listed in my epic software so I can only select 16f876a.

Dave
- 10th October 2005, 11:48
andyf97, I don't see VSS connected to pin 8 of the micro? Both pins 8 & 19 must be tied to VSS for reliable operation.

Dave Purola,
N8NTA

andyf97
- 11th October 2005, 07:07
Hi Dave,

Well spotted mate,

Also just for anyone else who has similar problems:

in the epic I am using the code protect keeps defaulting to be on,

so during spending days trying just about everything and when verifying the code had be written correctly I was getting the obvious message code programming error, if the epic software cant read the code then for sure it will not match. maybe a bug in epic that needs to be set, if code protect is on then dont try to validate the written code because for sure it will fail.

Thanks again dave, I now have a blinking led on the pic at various rates to visually see the pic is running..

Dave
- 11th October 2005, 11:49
andyf97, Have you gone to Melabs web site and down loaded the latest software for the Epic and Serial Programmer? It's free. I am running the latest beta version with no problem.

Dave Purola,
N8NTA