PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Q series PIC

MikeBZH
- 17th October 2022, 20:46
Hi everybody,

I am starting a new project with PBP3.1 and preferably MPLAB 8.92 and I would like to move to the PIC18F27Q10.
This PIC is reported as being supported by PIC3.1 on the MeLabs website.
However, it is not in the list of the devices as proposed by the project wizard of MPLAB 8.92.
This in quite understandable since this PIC has been released in 2020.

Is there any way to upgrade MPLAB 8.92 to make it accept this PIC ?
Should I move to MPLAB X ? But I remember some huge difficulties with the debug in this case...

Thank you for you help.
Best regards.

MikeBZH

Ioannis
- 18th October 2022, 19:36
If you want to use the debugger 8.92 is the only option as I remember.

I never could make it work anyway, so dropped 8.92 long way ago and use 5.35 assembler now.

Ioannis

tumbleweed
- 18th October 2022, 21:58
There's no way to update MPLAB 8.92 to support the Q10, so MPLABX is the only choice if you want to use the debugger.

MPLABX 5.35 was the last version to support MPASM, so that's what I would use.
Integrating PBP and MPLABX is a mixed bag, but worst-case you can always build using MCS/PBP and then import the .COF file into MPLABX as a prebuilt project.
That's what I've done in the past when I can't get the plugin to work.

Debugging and PBP isn't that great.

MikeBZH
- 19th October 2022, 17:25
I think we reach about the same conclusion.
May be will I stay will my current 26K22 for now.

But for the future I feel quite difficult to find a solution as convenient as the one we had ...

MikeBzh

mpgmike
- 21st October 2022, 16:59
To work with the newer Qxx PICs, all parts must be capable; MPLABX must be new enough to be able to work with it, PBP of course must have the files for it, but also the programmer must be compatible. The older PICkit2 programmers quit working on the latest PICs years ago. More recently, support for the PICkit3 has been dropped. Everything is available to work with most of the newer Qxx PICs. I never played with the Q10 but have done quite a bit with the Q43's.

MPLABX v5.35 is the newest version that still works with PBP. The current version is 6.00 and has been out since January (and there were a couple versions in between). In a conversation with Charles, he said the Q83/4 was released post Xv5.35 and therefore are not PBP compatible, because MPLABX v5.35 doesn't have the files to work with them.