PDA

View Full Version : prog prob

muddy0409
- 21st September 2005, 06:18
Hi all, I am having a funny (strange, not ha ha) programming prob with some NEW but old stock 16C715 chips.

I have a program, using only PORTB to drive an LCD. This works fine on a 'F84 but when I try to put it in a 'C715 nothing happens.
I am using IC-PROG into an Australian MicroByte Development board that has not shown any problems with any other chips. I have tried some other "flash LED" type simple progs too BTW.

When the "blown" chip is read, it comes up with either all 3FFF's (normal, new chip) or ALL 0000's. Absolutely nothing shows up as being programmed in.

I HAVE read the spec sheet for the 'C715 but cannot decipher anything peculiar to these chips which would indicate some special features.

IC-PROG has a 16C715 in its list of chips, so I would have assumed that it should be able to do all required to program them.

I have seen some other programmers that DO NOT have the 'C715 in their list of chips, so does that indicate that there is something funny about these??

Thank you all.
Peter Moritz
ADELAIDE Souith Australia.

Acetronics2
- 21st September 2005, 08:27
Hi, Peter

Is this a hardware or software problem ??? I noticed my PONYPROG soft doesn't like C series ...

Alain

muddy0409
- 21st September 2005, 12:52
I did RTFM...
anyway, I'm now onto the manufacturer of the developmenmt board, and he is intrigued too...We will follow up with him..

Thanks Ace

Melanie
- 21st September 2005, 12:58
Just a thought...

If you've blown the Configuration Fuse for CODE PROTECT you will read back all 0000's after programming. Run your PIC in a board... you may find it works as intended!

muddy0409
- 21st September 2005, 15:30
No, we didn't blow the code protect bit.
The manufacturer seems to think it is a hardware problem, although I am not too sure, as I have done 12C508As, 16F84As, 16F877, 16F873 with no problems at all.

So that is what you'll read if the CP bit was blown, 0000s huh? that's good to know.

I think I chucked the few out that I had programmed, so I will do a fresh one tomorrow and see what transpires.

Regards,
Peter