PDA

View Full Version : Stepper motor question:

MOUNTAIN747
- 18th June 2021, 23:13
I am looking at a linear "Z" assembly, 4 wire stepper motor item to build a macro photography camera drive mechanism. the stepper is a 2.2volt coil, 4 wire devise.
My question is, does that mean a max voltage of 2.2 volts to drive the coils? Will 5 volts damage the stepper?
Wayne

Acetronics2
- 19th June 2021, 11:11
does that mean a max voltage of 2.2 volts to drive the coils? Will 5 volts damage the stepper?
Wayne

YES ...

SURE ...

Alain

MOUNTAIN747
- 19th June 2021, 15:19
Thanks Alain

rocket_troy
- 20th June 2021, 01:30
Not necessarily. I've driven NEMA 35s and 42s at 250V without complaint - well, there might have been a hint of screaming :) Depends on how much they're loaded up and for what durations/duty cycles.

Troy

Acetronics2
- 20th June 2021, 08:19
Not necessarily. I've driven NEMA 35s and 42s at 250V without complaint - well, there might have been a hint of screaming :) Depends on how much they're loaded up and for what durations/duty cycles.

Troy

250v applied to +/- 1 Ohm ( NEMA 42 data ) create how much current ??? :rolleyes:

You were joking, I suppose ...

Alain

HenrikOlsson
- 20th June 2021, 15:27
Stepper motor are meant to be driven by constant current drivers. In the good old days you had unipolar motors (center tapped windings) and drivers with BIG series resistors to limit the current to whatever the motor was designed for. These days stepper motor drives senses the current and control the output bridge (PWM) so that whatever current you set the driver to is what the motor gets. (And they sin/cos modulates the phase currents to get microstepping).

You basically have to use a much higher voltage than what the nameplate rating says in order to counteract the inductance of the winding, if you don't you'll have a massively underperforming motor. Usually 10 to 20 times the rated voltage is common but sometimes it can be even more. I'm not surprised by the 250V figure mentioned for large NEMA42 motors.

If you DO apply 5V directly across that motor winding you will damage the motor. You MUST limit the current to whatever the motor is designed for - one way or another. If there's no current rating printed on the motor, measure the resistance of the winding and calculate using Ohms law.

rocket_troy
- 20th June 2021, 23:56
Good explanation Henrik and my bad - I was feeding that voltage (it was actually 230V not 250V) into the driver, not directly into the stepper.

Troy