PDA

View Full Version : Dual instance with MPLAB 8 ?

MikeBZH
- 30th November 2019, 16:56
Hi everybody,

I think I already know the answer but does anybody know if it possible to run simultaneously two instances of MPLAB 8 on the same PC (under Windows 7) ?
I get an error message when i try to launch a second copy of MPLAB 8 if a first one is already running.

Any ideas ?

Thank your for help.
MikeBZH

tumbleweed
- 30th November 2019, 23:52
Do you get an error message or a warning?

I've done it in the past. I think you need to have different workspaces and different debugger tools (ie PK3 and ICD3) from what I remember.

Ioannis
- 3rd December 2019, 19:37
No, you cannot because of share violation errors. Also MPLAB gives a warning that this is not recommended.

Ioannis

tumbleweed
- 3rd December 2019, 20:10
Yes, you can. I have three instances running right now.
Just launch it from an mplab project (.mcp file) and not a generic shortcut.

Also MPLAB gives a warning that this is not recommended
It IS easy to get it confused. I prefer to use different machines.

Ioannis
- 3rd December 2019, 20:30
Oh, I see. The MPLAB sees the first workspace so gives a violation error message.

By your suggestion, you've already defined a new workspace, so MPLAB is happy!

Good one,

Ioannis

tumbleweed
- 4th December 2019, 10:46
For this to work I think you need to have one-to-one project-workspace enabled (MPLAB main menu Configure | Settings... | Projects | Use one-to-one project-workspace model).

It's of limited use since you have to use different debug/programming tools in each project (ie Pickit3 in one, ICD3 in another). You can't use two of the same type. For that you'd need to use MPLABX.

MikeBZH
- 12th December 2019, 16:47
Thank you for your answers. I am going to try this.
I have two screens on my computer so I think I will not be confused. One instance on each.
My purpose is only to copy and paste some source code from one program to the other so this is quite simple.

MikeBZH

tumbleweed
- 13th December 2019, 10:23
My purpose is only to copy and paste some source code from one program to the other
If that's all you want to do then any text editor would work (ie Notepad)

MikeBZH
- 14th December 2019, 07:41
If that's all you want to do then any text editor would work (ie Notepad)

Hi Tumbleweed,

Not exactly. The tabs are not the same as with the MPLAB editor and you spend some time to realign everything.

MikeBZH

tumbleweed
- 14th December 2019, 12:02
There are lots of better text editors out there, like notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ and it's free.

For that matter, the MPLAB editor can open multiple source files (ie multiple windows) at the same time without having to run multiple copies. That way your editor settings would stay the same without having to setup anything.

MikeBZH
- 15th December 2019, 09:24
There are lots of better text editors out there, like notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ and it's free.

For that matter, the MPLAB editor can open multiple source files (ie multiple windows) at the same time without having to run multiple copies. That way your editor settings would stay the same without having to setup anything.

Thank you Tumbleweed.
Simple but very interesting solutions.

In France we have a cartoon called "the Shadoks". They always say : "Why to do you want to make it simple when you can make it complicated ?" Am I a Shadok ? :D

MikeBZH