PDA

View Full Version : Choice of FET

Scampy
- 23rd August 2017, 13:14
Guys and Gals, I'm revamping an old project and need some suggestions on a suitable MOSFET

I'm only switching 12v up to 2A directly from a PCA9685PW chip, so looking for a 5v logic level trigger. Whilst there are lots to chose from, and the prototype originally had overkill 45A items in a TO220 package I really need to reduce the overall size of the board. Now having 16 FETS on the board somewhat dictates the overall size, so I'm looking for suggestions for a small footprint SMD that can switch 2A @ 12v without needing heatsinks stick to them. If I have to go to a TO92 package then that's fine, but a TO263 SMD package will be a tad too large.

I've been searching all morning and seem to be going round in circles.. so any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

richard
- 23rd August 2017, 13:59
what about something like this, I used one to run my rollerdoor (12v windscreen wiper motor)

SP8K24FRATB 1 tiny soic8 contains two devices only costs a dollar

Scampy
- 23rd August 2017, 16:09
Hi Richard, thanks for the suggestion.

In your application, I'm guessing that the current is switched long enough for it to get hot. If I was drawing 2 amps through the device (ie 2 amps per FET) at 12v for upwards of 6 hours would the device get hot? I've looked at the datasheet and it says something about 2w total power dissipation, but I confess my ignorance in translating that into real world instances.

Cheers

Scampy
- 23rd August 2017, 16:31
Richard, having problems locating them in the UK - Only Farnell stock them, and as I have an account with RS would prefer to get something from them. This is the closest I can find on RS

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfet-transistors/8648710/

Would this suit my needs ?

HenrikOlsson
- 23rd August 2017, 19:18
Looking at the Farichild FDS 8949 it has a specified Rds-on of 36mOhm (max) at a Vgs of 4.5V and 4.5A drain current.
36mOhm at 2A drain current equals a power dissipation of 72mW per switch or a ~150mW for both in the package.

The thermal resistance, when using minimal pads, are specified as 135°C/W so the package temperature will increase by ~20°C, it will feel warm but not hot.

Looks like it should work just fine as long as you keep the Vgs "up there".

/Henrik.

Scampy
- 23rd August 2017, 20:45
Many thanks guys.. I'll sort out an order and do some real world tetsing

MichelJasmin
- 24th August 2017, 03:22
FDS6690A
Single N-Channel, Logic-Level, PowerTrench MOSFET

11 A, 30 V
RDS(ON) = 17.0 mW @ VGS = 4.5 V