PDA

View Full Version : Pic ID Error please help (beginner)

ninja
- 10th August 2005, 21:55
Hi all hope it is ok to post this question here as im not using the same hardware etc as you.

Im using a Willem PCB3 Programmer and assembling my programmes with MPLAB. Then transferring the HEX file to the Willem to prog the chips.

I have programmed a 16F684 and a 12F675 with no problems once i knew how to configure them (reading the data sheets about a million times) as im new to this im still using the assembly language but would love to learn c when i have time.

Anyway i got some Pic16F627A's and my programmer selects the correct chip ID when i start the prog. It blank checks ok and it seems to prog ok as it will verify ok but i get the error message after programming (Can not write to Pic ID area) The chip does not work if i pull it and put it in my bread board b ut then im not 100% sure i have configured it correctly in software anyway.

I have tried everything i can think of and been pulling my hair out for days. Would appreciate any ideas anyone might have.
Thank you in advance.

Ps have learned more on this site in the first 5 mins of reading than anywhere else on the net cheers. Did try the obvious site for my problem but got zero results hmmmmm.

NavMicroSystems
- 10th August 2005, 23:36
Hi ninja,

welcome to the Forum!

This may not really answer your question, but

I started about the same way with PICs
One of my first programmers was WILLEM
as I thought is is kind of universal.

Pretty soon I had to realize there are sseveral bugs (in Hard & Software) and many newer PICs are not supported.

Another attempt was a PICSTART+ clone.
Results were better, but still not perfect.
(Still PIC types that are not supported)

Today I'm using Microchip's ICD2 and I have never experienced any problems since.
With MPLAB it is just perfect.

If I would have purchased the ICD2 in the first place I would have saved a lot of money.

ninja
- 11th August 2005, 00:01
Hi Ralph
Thanks for your reply as you say there does seem to be quite a few bugs in that system so its even more confusing for a newby as you never know if you have done something wrong or if it is a bug.

Maybe i should price up an ICD2 when i have some spare cash that should take out any element of doubt for sure.

Do you know where the best place is to get one ?

Regards Steve.

NavMicroSystems
- 11th August 2005, 00:37
Well,
one of the best places is certainly Microchip (www.microchip.com)

You may want to to take a look at OLIMEX (http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-icd2.html) for an ICD2 clone.

ninja
- 11th August 2005, 17:54
Thanks for the info and your time Ralf.

Will seriously think about it when i have the money. But for now im stuck with this one so am still going to try find out what is wrong.

Cheers Steve