PDA

View Full Version : To IDE or Not to IDE

Melanie
- 9th August 2005, 22:10
This Poll is a request from one of our Members... who want's to know what IDE everyone's using. No flames, no arguments for or against, just make your choice and see where it takes us...

Bruce
- 10th August 2005, 02:59
Hi Mel,

I prefer MicroCode Studio Plus for general work, and MPLAB for serious
de-bugging sessions.

crematory
- 10th August 2005, 08:48
Hello Melanie

I prefer MCSP and I like it very much, its very nice indeed, and the most important thing is the code explorer, and nice user interface, its amazing, but CodeDesigner has a nice drop down meues when you are writing the code that is good, but the user interface is bad, and lack of code explorer is also frustrating, I wish that MCSP add the code drop down menues, so that it becomes the perfect IDE for PICBasic Pro.

Acetronics2
- 10th August 2005, 09:48
Hi, Mel

MPLAB !!! ... only MPLAB.

and MPASMwin assembler as option.

Alain

ErnieM
- 10th August 2005, 14:19
Dittos to Acetronics. MPLAB and MPASM for me.

familiar environment for me

same place I do my assembly development

knows how to use my programming tools (even PicKit 1) (Pickit 2 promised SOON)

and there lives a simulator there

mister_e
- 10th August 2005, 15:48
MicoCode Studio Only. No need for me to use MPLAB or ... really not often. The only situations i use MPLAB is for using StopWatch and to program my PIC with PicStart.

No comments about MPLAB IDE. I just found MicroCode studio more interesting to 'surf' in my code.. even if they have now almost more than 32K.

The use of the code explorer allow me to see/switch/jump directly to a specific area of my code in a snap.

As i use bootloader in most of my apps, everything is done in the same program. Including Serial communication window.

Easy to use, and really usefull IMHO. But there's place for 1 or 2 improvement.

Add possibility to send saved .Bin,.Hex or else type of file
Add possibility to save received serial data in various file type .Bin,.Hex

Well it's just a suggestion. I did my own program to do that. If we could have the option to have some quick-lauch into the IDE, that will be great too.

I wish that MCSP add the code drop down menues, so that it becomes the perfect IDE for PICBasic Pro.
Could be interesting too.

picnaut
- 10th August 2005, 16:46
Hi,

I think that Mecanique makes the best IDE(s) for PIC basic programming.
So, my vote goes to MCSP.

:)

Cheers.

Picnaut

NavMicroSystems
- 10th August 2005, 17:46
...Easy to use, and really usefull IMHO. But there's place for 1 or 2 improvement.

Add possibility to send saved .Bin,.Hex or else type of file
Add possibility to save received serial data in various file type .Bin,.Hex

I agree, MCSP is a great tool and worth the money,
but there is still some room for improvement.

In addition to the things Steve has already mentioned:

I would like MCSP to close an open COM-Port in the Serial Communicator automatically to program the PIC via Bootloader and to re-open the Port after the BootLoader has terminated.

Also a dynamic refresh of the "available COM-Ports" List would be nice (with USB to Serial converters)
Currently you have to exit and re-start MCSP to make a port available that has been connected after starting MCSP.

I also use MPLAB (sometimes) with ICD2 for programming and debugging.

yettie
- 12th August 2005, 01:24
I agree with bruce, only that MCS don't have some functions included in MPLAB. If serious debugging session will be needed you will definitely need MPLAB in assy level.

MCS could have been perfect if it will include assy level debugging.

Dwayne
- 31st August 2005, 17:15
I like the options that MPLAB has on its IDE, problem is, I haven't been able to set it up yet...(Probably because I haven't taken up much time to do so).

MicroCode Studio sat up the first time, did all the work for me, and allowed me to sing and whistle dixie without any hassle. It is basic, and gets the job done for me.

I am sure there are other better IDE's, and I am sure if you purchased the complete MicroCode Studio with all the bells and whistles, it would be even nicer.

For the projects I am doing, I am just fine with the basics....Its better than the old method I used...<g>.

Dwayne

jessey
- 1st September 2005, 10:41
Hi,

I think that Mecanique makes the best IDE(s) for PIC basic programming.
So, my vote goes to MCSP.

Cheers.

Picnaut

I agree with Picnaut, excellent to use, a real treat.........

jessey

Demon
- 28th October 2005, 01:15
Well, I bought MCSP a while ago 'cause MPLAB didn't have BASIC support back then (if I remember properly).

As it is, I see no reason to switch. I'm used to MicroCode Studio Plus and I finally got all the includes figured out for the 18F4550.

Robert

mister_e
- 28th October 2005, 04:56
If you really need MPLAB features, MPLAB can support PBP. You just need to download the plugin on the Melabs Website.
http://melabs.com/support/mplab.htm

kctan
- 22nd November 2005, 12:20
microcode studio plus

bitbanger
- 27th November 2005, 02:03
IDE? My Integrated Development Environment is "Notepad.exe" I thought that was the IDE as it came integrated with the OS. :)

vk3kbr
- 26th December 2005, 10:58
micropro.
All I could afford !!. Lots of others look nice, but the price is prohibitive, so unfortunately no go.
P.S. If the company sold 1,000,000 @ 100 Pounds, they would be able to retire, but a couple of thousand @ $ Au 500-600.
Methinks the quantity rule applies.
VK3KBR

afbecker
- 25th January 2006, 21:38
MicroChip's MPLAB IDE I think it is up to Vr. 6

muddy0409
- 26th January 2006, 06:57
What the hell is IDE???????

Melanie
- 26th January 2006, 08:19
Just a flashy abbreviation used by geeks meaning "Integrated Development Environment". Whilst different IDE's have different features and can do different things, they generally share an Editor, a way of tracking your resource usage (eg variables, RAM, Beer consumption etc), encompass a simulator of sorts, and have an easy way of launching your compiler with the wrong settings. They'll tell you when your syntax is wrong when you know damn well it isn't, communicate flawlessly via their RS232 simulator when in the real world it doesn't happen, and use up your grey-matter that's better directed elsewhere. They are somebody's ideal way of writing programs - somebody's sure, but rarely yours. Since they don't make and bring the coffee, that's where I lose interest with them...

muddy0409
- 27th January 2006, 04:01
Hmmm.......
Sounds like an automated pencil & paper & eraser. That's still the best way I know to get something working. The file may not be pretty, but it will work just the way I want, especially after getting some answers to dumb questions from you blokes in here.

Muddy0409

Acetronics2
- 27th January 2006, 09:33
Hi, Mel

I just end to translate an unknown Basic to PbP "Intelligent" batt. Charger program ...
say 1000 basic lines to translate if needed, and to verify.

Without my IDE ( Mplab ... or MCS ) I'd still would be at work !!! it has shown me most of what to translate, vars forgotten to declare ( ! ), etc, etc ... and verified I hadn't forgotten a line.
Even a head ( yours i.e.) has its limits ...

Do not say anymore it's just good to make your coffee hot !!!

for hot coffee ... Elektor did a project some years ago, ... including a PIC, of course !!! no need a P4 processor ...
I thought in England, coffee was just some darker tea ...

cheers from France, and a happy new year.

Alain

nomada
- 30th January 2006, 00:31
Basically I use MicoCode Studio and MPLAB to program my PIC with Microchip PicStart.

Ioannis
- 6th February 2006, 12:49
I thought in England, coffee was just some darker tea ...

Alain

Well, I've been to Paris recently, and could not find anywere coffee worth to mention. In my country use to call the filter coffee "French Coffee". I don't know why, but even this was not available!

And the most close to hot classic nescafe was found at "Fouquet's" called "American coffee".

I invite you all to come to Greece an enjoy every coffee you heard, imagined, know or don't know! Pages of catalogues...

And of course many people here have designed circuits to keep mug warm with precise control from a 10 digit PIC ADC...

Ioannis

Acetronics2
- 6th February 2006, 14:29
Hi, Ioannis

Here, for real coffee, you have to let the Champs Elysees at some distance ...
the Fouquet's is just some degenerated Mc Do's ... with some strass !!!

Coffee burners shops offer quality and lots of different tastes ... and you could have found some in the closest avenues and streets leading to St Lazare station ... chocolate maker shops too !!!

I think it's the same in Greece ... places for tourists and "authentic" places !!!
Club Med's coffee is really awful.

Next time you come ... ask for a Turkish coffee !!! and overall ... look for that unique coffee w/ cream smell you only find in small cafés ... or coffee shops.

Alain

Ioannis
- 7th February 2006, 07:40
I am sure that will be back again. Five days is too little time!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ioannis

Eng4444
- 3rd June 2006, 08:01
I am using it and doing fine... it's very easy.

Patrick
- 6th June 2006, 08:37
I find MPlab to difficult as I have reach the age where the grey matter is forgetting to easily and that Microcode studio is to expensive. Rand / Dol and plus tax will cost me more than a arm and a leg.Then I use only 3 or 4 different pic's for my projects,dont need all it other stuff.
Oshonsoft has got a nice pic simulator but not compatable with PBP
I want to see pictures

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Patrick

Acetronics2
- 6th June 2006, 08:58
Hi Patrick

Did you try THIS : http://www.virtualbreadboard.com/VBBSetup_1_4_FW.zip

Alain

victorf57
- 22nd July 2006, 23:01
"Oshonsoft has got a nice pic simulator but not compatable with PBP"
Hi,Patrick
I have used it with PBP.
I also own virtualbreadboard and it also works with PBP.
Victor

bearpawz
- 30th December 2006, 00:05
Just a flashy abbreviation used by geeks meaning "Integrated Development Environment". Whilst different IDE's have different features and can do different things, they generally share an Editor, a way of tracking your resource usage (eg variables, RAM, Beer consumption etc), encompass a simulator of sorts, and have an easy way of launching your compiler with the wrong settings. They'll tell you when your syntax is wrong when you know damn well it isn't, communicate flawlessly via their RS232 simulator when in the real world it doesn't happen, and use up your grey-matter that's better directed elsewhere. They are somebody's ideal way of writing programs - somebody's sure, but rarely yours. Since they don't make and bring the coffee, that's where I lose interest with them...

"Launching your compiler with the wrong settings" ROTF!!! Launching your programmer with the wrong settings too! Why cant MCSP and ICPROG just work together?! LOL (Note: The can play nice but it takes a lot of work and still have to select PIC manualy in ICPROG)

selbstdual
- 6th February 2007, 21:58
Which integrated development environment are you in bed with?

My girlfriend. I will make a mental note of the fact that she offers an integrated development environment. This is a GREAT metaphor :)

jcleaver
- 2nd March 2007, 23:30
i use microstudio because thats whats for pbp or at least thats what i thought however i have been looking around though cant afford to switch out
but as a novice what i seen from mikroelektronika seems hands down simpler than what i am using hope to see update's in product use and not only on waht chips it supports. from what i read on posts i am not alone in this

thanks

jack