PDA

View Full Version : Using a parallel LCD(44780 based) as a serial LCD

mikejp56
- 19th October 2015, 04:03
Hi All,
There must me a simple way to use a parallel interface LCD as a serial interface LCD, so the LCDOUT command can be used with it. I would think that adding a shift register should work, I am just not sure about the particulars.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
mike

Archangel
- 19th October 2015, 04:29
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/content.php?r=171-LCD-serial-backpacks

should get you going

wdmagic
- 20th October 2015, 03:57
you might just want to invest in a serial to parallel board for your lcd. you can get them for about 99 cents on ebay. Ive tried a couple and they seem to work pretty good. if you want one that does uart,spi,and i2c they cost about 7 bucks.

Acetronics2
- 20th October 2015, 12:04
Or simply buy one of these converters modules on Ebay ( @ 1 or 2 $ /pc !!! )

Alain

Art
- 22nd October 2015, 17:01
A HD44780 parallel interface LCD is what the LCDOUT command talks to!

Heckler
- 22nd October 2015, 18:06
If you are going to use a "serial backpack", then instead of the LCDOUT command, you would just use SEROUT or SEROUT2

and in addition to what Art said... the LCDOUT command will work with either 4 or 8 data lines to the LCD (but you probably already knew that)

Art
- 26th October 2015, 00:59
It sounds like OP thinks LCDOUT is serial, so trying to make the LCD module serial to accommodate that.
If it’s a matter of not enough IO pins to use parallel, a shift register would at least take care of the data lines.
You’d probably need an extra pin. The data pins are already supposed to be in their state when the enable pin transitions.

mikejp56
- 30th October 2015, 01:56
Hi All,
Yes I was confused with the use of LCDOUT and SEROUT and SEROUT2.
Thanks for the info and explanations.
Regards,
mike