PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling text on display

Srigopal007
- 13th July 2005, 17:16
Hi all, I have a dot programmable display that I am using with my PIC16F877A, I am communicating with this display serially(SPI) with a synchronous clock and data signals. My intentions are to have a scrolling text that goes from right to left. I am having a hard time trying to conceptualize on how to shift a particular text. I was wondering if you have any suggestions for my problem. maybe a pseudocode along with a sample code would be very helpful. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Srig

sougata
- 4th August 2005, 06:55
Hi Srigopal,

I need to know which LED driver you are using. Is it from the Maxim or Altera stable ? Let's get the things straight :

1. You need to load data into the display.

2. You need to wait a few miliseconds

3. You need to shift the data and go to step one.

Additionally you might want to fetch data. So use an array and do some table read stuff.

Regards

Sougata

muskut
- 4th August 2005, 07:34
I didnt want to open a new topic, how can we do "Vertical Scrolling Text" with PBP ? From Up to Down or from Down to Up ? with 2x16 dot matrix lcd and 16f876.

regards...

Acetronics2
- 4th August 2005, 07:58
Hi muskut,

I think reading carefully your LCD DATASHEET could lead you to find it has special commands to shift R/L and "soft scroll" ...

Depends upon the built in controller of your LCD ...

another solution is to write the lines to the LCD , pause a while to stare at them, Read ( w pic !!!) the first line in the LCD memory, and send back the new first line and "old" first line to your LCD ...

Alain

mister_e
- 4th August 2005, 14:09
But if you plan to do some smooth scrolling... you better use some GLCD. a 2 lines character display will not do the effect you want... well i guess.

It's not impossible with a character display but you'll have to build a load of specific half, quater dimension character table and refer to them do produce the effect.... much code than results IMHO.

sougata
- 6th August 2005, 12:53
It is not practical to do a smooth vertical scroll on display. Even if you use half and quarter height custom characters the gap between the first and the second line is bigger than that between characters.

You can copy the second line to the first line, then write a new second line and repeat the entire process with a pause. This would let you display much more info on that tiny LCD. However a graphic LCD would be a better option if you have enough room.

Regards

Sougata

Acetronics2
- 6th August 2005, 13:20
Hi,

Is there ... Is there ... some echoe .... Is there ... some echoe .... here ... some echoe ... here ... ???? ... ???? .... here ....

Alain ... Alain ... Alain ... Alain ... Alain ...........

Melanie
- 6th August 2005, 15:13
Srig: If you just want one code example of how to scroll some text (sideways), download the Olympic Timer thread pdf wherein some text scrolling was put in just for fun.