PDA

View Full Version : How to make working one HCTL2016 and a PIC16F876

hawk72501
- 9th July 2005, 13:02
Hi to everyone! I am a newbie at PIC16F876 and i have a project to make(that's why i am not swimming at a beach now!snif,snif)

The problem is the following:
I have an incremental encoder (AGI HEDL-5540 A11) connected with a motor (maxon).And i want to take the pulses that the encoder sends and save it as a number in the PIC16F876. Somebody told me that HCTL2016
makes that.Reading the manual i made the right connections but i am stuck with the code in PIC that is required.Every pin like PORTB.0,PORTB.1..... have 0 or 1 as i understood.But iam save it as a whole number in 1 register!And the manual says that HCTL2016 is 16-bit.So must it the number of a position be send in two cycles?Please help me!

I would really really...appreciate if you could give me some bit of code to understand.Thanks anyway in advance

mister_e
- 9th July 2005, 13:13
mmm, can you tell more about what you want to do with the rotary encoder???

i'd never use this IC and i believe we can remove it and connect the encoder directly to the PIC.

I often use rotary encoder in my apps to navigate between menu and/or get user entry. So an extra IC should be motivated by something that i don't see/understand.

Bellow is one example to use rotary encode to increment/decrement a variable

' Procedure to get value change from rotary encoder
'
OldPos = (PORTB & %11000000)>>6 ' get only PORTB<7:6> bits
NewPos = OldPos

' see if encoder has move
'
while ((NewPos==0) or (NewPos==3))
NewPos = (PORTB & %11000000)>>6 ' get only PORTB<7:6> bits
wend

pause 20 ' debounce delay

' Get encoder movement
' --------------------
'
' Rotary encoder output table (clockWise rotation):
' -------------------------------------------------
' 00
' 01 between move (half detent)
' 11
' 10 between move (half detent)
'
' Using XOR
'
' OldPOS : 0 0 3 3
' NewPos : 1 2 1 2
' movement : CW CCW CCW CW
' XOR -------------------------------
' 1 2 2 1
'
' So, if NewPos XOR OldPos = 1 => increment
' Newpos XOR OldPos = 2 => Decrement
'
Newpos=newpos ^ oldpos
select case newpos

case 1
menuchoice=menuchoice+1

case 2
menuchoice=menuchoice-1

end select

hawk72501
- 9th July 2005, 13:21
Thanks for answering.I don't want nothing extreme.Just to have a number in PIC16F876(for example 16 degrees or 352.16 degrees,something like that) how many degrees the motor turned. The concept is to make a PD controller.But in order to make the PD controller i must subtract the desire degrees of rotating the motor (turn 5 degrees) with the actual.And i want to control the actual degree.The first i made it with a SERIN2.They said to me that the encoder gives pulses and in order to make them 0 or 1 i must have the HCTL.Is that wrong?

i really didn't understand much from your code (f.e what is >>6).Can you be please more specific?Sorry but i am now beginning....

NavMicroSystems
- 9th July 2005, 13:46
hawk,

I'm sorry I have to say this,
but how about having a look at your chips datasheets and the PBP Manual?

i.e.
"<<" and ">>" are described in Section 4.17.3 of the Manual