PDA

View Full Version : Question about flow sensor

financecatalyst
- 9th August 2015, 21:54
I am looking at this flow sensor for one application: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/81401.pdf

I have never used one before so I have a basic question about this model. It is about the flow rate which is mentioned at 0.5L/min. Does it mean that, this should be the maximum flow which should pass through it? What happens if flow is more than this, like 3L/min, will it break it?

Thanks

Heckler
- 10th August 2015, 02:18
There is a graph on the second page that shows pressure drop vs. flow and it seems to indicate that the device is capable of handling upwards of 14 lpm.

I would think that .5 lpm may be the minimum flow that it can accurately detect.

I've never used one of these before but that seems reasonable to me.

good luck

Heckler
- 10th August 2015, 02:21
Actually after taking a second look at the sheet and the title of "Flow Switch" it seems to me that it is only going to give you an indication that there is flow. Not the magnitude of that flow. you will likely only get a 1 or a 0 for Flow / No Flow indication. And it will only indicate flow if it is over .5 LPM.

but I could be wrong :o

Were you wanting something to indicate quantity of flow??
If so, you may need to look elsewhere.

richard
- 10th August 2015, 03:10
Operating Pressure: 10BAR

as long as this pressure is not exceeded the sensor will be ok , it may not reliably be able to accurately measure the actual flow rate below the 0.5/lpm rate however

Dave
- 10th August 2015, 12:01
Heckler is right. It is nothing more than a flow switch. It gives an indication of flow greater than .5L/min. by moving a magnet attached to a pivoted plate upstream from the flow. As the flow increases, it pushes the plate out of the way towards a magnetic read switch. There are various other types of FLOW METER designs such as: Turbine, Positive displacement piston, Optical ball and circular tube, Rotary vane, Ultrasonic, Diferential Pitot tube, just to name a few.