PDA

View Full Version : PCB Coating remover

Adityapicbasic
- 12th December 2014, 07:14
Hello,

I want to remove the White color substance which can be seen in the photo, at the edges of the PCB. Please specify what kind of substance it is & suggest the solution to remove it.

Dave
- 12th December 2014, 12:19
It looks like RTV silicone caulk. Good luck..... You should be able to peel most of it by hand. I would use an EXACTO Knife also...

Archangel
- 12th December 2014, 19:01
It looks like RTV silicone caulk. Good luck..... You should be able to peel most of it by hand. I would use an EXACTO Knife also...
Or heat sink compound. Is it rubbery or past like? If it turns out to be RTV be sure to not allow lithium batteries in that device, seems RTV & lithium combine to form a severe corrosive situation, FAA made folks replace ELTs many moons ago.

EDIT: On second look, I think Dave is correct. RTV. Now, the question is do you want to trim the edges or UNPOT the PCB? Stoddard solvent will turn RTV to jelly, do not know if it will harm anything else.

Acetronics2
- 12th December 2014, 19:55
THE good question is ...

is there also RTV under the PCB ???

cause that looks like some automotive control box ... and RTV damping qualities could justify that ...

10% chances to succeed ... no more !

Alain

Charlie
- 13th December 2014, 14:47
There are a large number of potting compounds that look like RTV but are not. In fact, RTV is rarely used by manufacturers because it damages electronics over time. You will have to carefully pick or scrape it off. If you tell us what the devices is and the manufacturer, someone might know for sure.