PDA

View Full Version : data logging PIC

Macgman2000
- 24th June 2005, 19:17
Hello All,

I am looking at the 16F88 PIC for data logging and serial TX to a PC logging the ADC to an EXCEL document. I can manage the ADC to serial TX, what I need help with is the PC side in taking the serial data and decoding it and dumping it in an EXCEL doc. I want to use 4 ADC channels at 8 to 10bits.

I would appreciate any help/info.

Best Regards,
Nick

JEC
- 24th June 2005, 20:17
If you send out your data with either tabs or commas between columns, and carriage returns between lines, it will line up nicely in Excel.

Google around for 'excel serial port input' and I think you'll find a utility or two which will handle the PC side nicely.

John

mister_e
- 24th June 2005, 20:24
That's an option OR you'll need to do VB(or else) program that will get data from serial and create a XCEL or ACCESS file.

I have some PDF on how using/programming VB here. My favorite is the 'VB Black BOOK' almost everything is covered in. I guess you can find that one or else VB EBOOK on some peer-to-peer site like LimeWire Case not send me your e-mail on my PM.

A short VB tutorial on Reynolds Electronics Website. (http://www.rentron.com/receiving_data.htm)

Probably Hyperterminal, RealTerm can also do the job.