PDA

View Full Version : MPLAB X IDE - how to get started

flotulopex
- 23rd August 2014, 21:44
Hi,

Over the past days, I've been reading threads and googled around about MPLAB. So I installed MPLAB X v2.15.

I found enough info to install PBP 2.60 and set it as THE compiler; I'm using a PICKit2.

Following different tutorials, I created a project, set it up and this is where I'm stuck now.

I think I must now "build" the project to be able to program it into the PIC. But when I do so, I get following warning:

make: *** No targets. Stop.
BUILD FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 78ms)

What am I doing wrong?

Is MPLAB the only tool to debug my code?

HenrikOlsson
- 23rd August 2014, 22:18
Hi Roger,
If you mean source level debugging using the PICKit2 then yes. As far as I know MPLAB is the only tool which allows you to use a hardware debugger to debug (step, step over, set break points etc) a PBP program at the source level.

I'm sorry but I can't help you getting PBP going inside MPLAB, been there a couple of times only to leave dissapointed....

/Henrik.

flotulopex
- 23rd August 2014, 22:44
I'm frustrated too.... :(

So what would be a "good" software debugger - any suggestions?

richard
- 24th August 2014, 07:51
its pouring rain here today so I had another go a getting pbp3 to work in labx, put labx ver 2 on the laptop
added the pbp2.6 and pbp3 tool chains and guess what . it works
I can now source debug a pbp3 project (pic18's only)
seems in previous attemps I created my source files in the wrong spot
see attached

ardhuru
- 24th August 2014, 08:41
I'm frustrated too.... :(

So what would be a "good" software debugger - any suggestions?

I have happily been using the one built-in into Microcde Studio for quite some years.

They also have a free version which works only on the 16F628A to let you have the feel.

http://melabs.com/resources/win_ide.htm#Studio

Regards,

Anand