PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the simplest of programs to run using internal osc and just toggling a pin

Szczepaniec
- 13th May 2014, 22:10
Here is the code. It will not toggle the pin. I have to be missing something painfully obvious. I am hoping somebody will spot it immediately and while making me feel dumb, save me another 17 days of head banging. It started on a circuit board but I have moved it to a breadboard with nothing but 2 "AA" batteries powering the PIC and checking the pins with a multi-meter. Thanks.

#CONFIG
__config _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _IOSCFS_4MHZ & _CP_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF & _IOSCFS_4MHZ & _BOR_OFF

#ENDCONFIG

include "alldigital.pbp"
trisio.5 = 0
trisio.0 = 0

DEFINE OSC 4
do
'serout2 gpio.5, 396, ["M"]
high 0
pause 1000
low 0
pause 1000
loop
end

Szczepaniec
- 13th May 2014, 22:20
Sorry. I should have put the PIC in. It is a 12HV615. I have Darrel's ALLDIGITAL file in the same folder as the project folder and everything compiles and acts normally. I have also tried more than one of the same PIC but don't have a different model 8 pin PIC to try.

mark_s
- 13th May 2014, 22:32
Hello,

What pic chip are you using?

You may have to set the oscon register to make the internal oscillator function.

Also your "high 0" and "low 0" statements should be changed to High gpio.0 and Low gpio.0

mark_s
- 13th May 2014, 22:37
Ok, I see that the pic12hv614 has no oscon register and is done in the configuration

Szczepaniec
- 13th May 2014, 23:14
I have tried doing gpio.0 as well with no better result. This cut and paste is just the latest thing I have tried out of desperation. Not that it is right but I have numerous other programs that I just us "High 4" and it works. Thank you for your time in looking at this.

Demon
- 13th May 2014, 23:20
When you compile, does ALLDIGITAL suggest lines to be added to your code?

Robert

Szczepaniec
- 13th May 2014, 23:44
No, it didn't. Nothing was out of the ordinary as far as I could tell. It didn't before I added the alldigital file to the folder but I did it anyway just in case. I am completely baffled.

mark_s
- 14th May 2014, 00:39
See if this will work.

#CONFIG
__config _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_OFF & _MCLRE_OFF & _IOSCFS_4MHZ & _CP_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF & _IOSCFS_4MHZ & _BOR_OFF

#ENDCONFIG

DEFINE OSC 4 ' keep above your code and registers settings
Adcon0 = 0 'disable adc
ANSEL = 0 'gpio all digital
TRISIO = 0 'all outputs except gpio3

do
'serout2 gpio.5, 396, ["M"]
high 0
pause 1000
low 0
pause 1000
loop
end

Yes, I forgot the High/Low 0 statements are from the old Basic Stamp days.

Szczepaniec
- 14th May 2014, 16:03
No dice. I have tried yet another PIC to make sure I didn't damage the last two and tried a different programmer in the event that was damaged (1 in a million, I know). My gut is that I am missing something oscillator related but cannot figure out what. Thanks for the look at what I have.

xpa999
- 14th May 2014, 17:02
Do you have !MCLR tied high? I see it disabled in the config, but it's worth a try.

Szczepaniec
- 14th May 2014, 17:51
I found an issue and correcting it seems to correct the issue. However, I am left a little confused as to what is going on. I am using MC Studio 5.0.0.5 with Melabs programmer v4.51 on a computer running Windows 8.1. Everything appears to program fine but the PIC doesn't work. I tried using my netbook which I typically only use when on a job site to compile and program the same code and it works fine (MC studio 5.0.0.0 and programmer 4.32 and Windows 7 starter). I don't know if it is MC studio that is causing the problem or the programmer software but there appears to be some issue. Unfortunately, I don't have time to look into it right now because I am a day and a half behind because of this issue. Thank you all for your help.