PDA

View Full Version : Which Programmer?

Ramius
- 26th April 2014, 03:54
Hi All!
I have a PICSTART PLUS programmer I have had for years and I love it! Now it has developed a strange problem after upgrading to Windows 7. You can erase a PIC, load your program in MPLAB it will start to program the PIC and then after a few seconds the power LED and "Active" led both go out! There is still power to the programmer so I know its not the power supply so I am wondering if this has something to do with windows 7 or if it is time for a new programmer? I work with PICs up to 40 pins and love the ZIF socket. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions as to weather I need to replace the programmer and if so which programmer to choose or if it is a windows 7 problem?

Thanks, Ed

pedja089
- 26th April 2014, 06:22
I use PICkit 3. Probably best buy for 40$. You can make zif adapter for it, if you like.
But I prefer leaving ICSP on board, it's easier and faster than swapping pic between board and programmer(especially in SMD package).

Ramius
- 29th April 2014, 02:37
Thank you and it turned out to be that I forgot to disable the FIFO on the USB port.

optionstrading
- 12th October 2014, 08:08
Perhaps, before deciding to replace the programmer, you could try it on from my experience more stable windows xp. Unfortunately, windows xp updates will be discontinued very soon, so this would make sense only in terms of identifying where the fault lies. Good luck mate!