retepsnikrep
- 25th November 2013, 11:17
http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/14/134/LCD_Displays/4DLC D_FT843/

This looks intriguing.

Assume PBPRO could talk to it via SPI.

Any thoughts?

Jerson
- 25th November 2013, 17:21
Interesting display. Depending on where the GUI images/sounds are stored, it can be either a boon or a bane

Usually, a TFT screen needs a huge amount of data per image which has to be displayed. This is usually a luxury on low end processors. Assuming the graphics are stored on the display, the display would be suitable for static screens with small areas of changing data. There is not much detail on how they store the images/sound files; others usually use a SD card memory on the display to store such data.

HenrikOlsson
- 25th November 2013, 17:38
The FT800 EVE display engine chip looks really cool - it's not your typical display controller. It draws and displays buttons, sliders, dials, text, lines, arcs etc for you. You don't need all the trig math to do lines and circles etc. It's specifically designed for low end microcontrollers with limited amout of RAM - or so they claim.

I've been meaning to get the one the MikroE sells for quite some time but I don't really have a Project for it and I've got way to many 'that would be cool to play with some day' gadgets laying aroung already....unfortunately....

/Henrik.

Jerson
- 26th November 2013, 03:32
I've been working a lot with GLCDs these days, monochrome and RGB of various types and sizes. All of them have been coded in C and for other processors. They need a lot of Code space to store the bitmaps and a lot of raw speed to transfer them to the GLCD. I have seen some LCDs / HMI(human machine interface) modules that just send a code to show a screen; but, those are pretty expensive. This display seems to be in that class.

Demon
- 26th November 2013, 20:34
http://www.ftdichip.com/EVE.htm

Impressive, might even work with I2C.

Robert