PDA

View Full Version : design question

AvionicsMaster1
- 25th September 2013, 14:37
Since I've gotten Proteus I've been working on small projects learning some of the basics before I move on to bigger and hopefully better things. Inexplicably I've been going smaller not larger. I started with a 16F877A moved down to a 16F616 then a 12F683. Now I'm learning with a 10F222 and I noticed something that I don't understand.

Staying withing the 10FXXX lineage, why would you build a circuit using a 10F200 when a 10F322 costs only ten cents more? I know there is a huge difference in memory, oscillator freq., ADC channels and many other. It just seems to me if I were designing a circuit I'd use the biggest bang for the buck, build in future expansion possibility while only stocking one chip.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

HenrikOlsson
- 25th September 2013, 17:00
Hi,
If you don't really NEED the extra features of 322 and you're making, say, 100k units of your desing then those mere 10 cents per unit equals 10k in the end - 10k pure profit - simple as that.
For hobby use where you make 1 or 10 - it doesn't matter one bit, pick the one offering the greatest flexibillity. IF the design turns commercial you can always try to squeeze into a cheaper device.

Those are my thoughts....

/Henrik.

LinkMTech
- 25th September 2013, 17:08
I bought some 10F322's along with some $5 dev boards from Mouser only to find that they were not supported yet by MicroCode Studio or mikroProg.
Do you have a way to compile with PBP?

AvionicsMaster1
- 27th September 2013, 23:20
Thanks Henrik, I keep thinking small as I doubt if I ever will complete a commercially viable product desireable by many more people than me. your thoughts are always appreciated.

rsocor01
- 28th September 2013, 06:22
Thanks Henrik, I keep thinking small as I doubt if I ever will complete a commercially viable product desireable by many more people than me. your thoughts are always appreciated.

Hi. I'm sure you have the knowledge to come up with a commercially viable product. Just concentrate on something that you like, for example avionics, and you will figure something out.

Art
- 4th October 2013, 02:32
Staying withing the 10FXXX lineage, why would you build a circuit using a 10F200 when a 10F322 costs only ten cents more?

They aren't really thinking like that, the later chip is a newer generation with features designed to obsolete the former.
There was a time when the 16F84 was the same price as a 16F628 too, why would you want half the memory and less peripherals? :D
Somewhere out there though, someone would still have been wanting the 16F84 to write existing hex files to.

Demon
- 7th October 2013, 02:41
HEY! Don't diss the 16F628. I started with that PIC and still have a boatload on hand, somewhere. Same with the 16F877.

Robert
:D

Art
- 7th October 2013, 04:16
It is the 'F84 in that example that has half memory (1K) and less peripherals! :D
The 'F628 is a beast, and I'd still choose it for small personal stuff that only needed
a couple of pins because it's ready for more if the project runs away form you :)

HEY! Don't diss the 16F628. I started with that PIC and still have a boatload on hand, somewhere. Same with the 16F877.

Robert
:D

towlerg
- 8th October 2013, 12:10
@Art - I couldn't agree more, and the std. F version will ran at 10Mhz on 3V

George