PDA

View Full Version : PBP3 MCS question on device support.

wdmagic
- 11th September 2013, 18:49
I just ordered a new PICKIT 3, it should be here in a week or so. However up till now my choice for chips has been

12F675
12F683
18F4550
these were the ones I worked with mostly, as they have the most versitile options for their series, some others I have are
16F88
16F690
16F688
These I have tested some stuff with but usually dont go further with them. I have alot of other chips but dont use them generally.

Question #1
Now with the new PICKIT 3 I should be able to program any chip that MICROCHIP is currently producing, Including the 18F46K80. However I am using PBP 2.6 and MCS 4.0 and there is no option for that particular chip, so do I need to use a different IDE like MPLAB or do I need to upgrade to PBP3.0 Gold and use the new MCS that comes with that?

Question #2
What chips would other users suggest that are more advanced than the ones I have listed, keep in mind I like to use
ADC (only 1-4 channels usually @ 10bit) (higher is ok and wanted)
PWM (using only 1 now, But would like Lots more --8 if possible--)
Prefer PDIP Chips (Favorite is the 40 Pin 4550 chip)
Lots of Program Memory, so if its a series chip please list the highest chip with a max of 40 pins.

Question #3
Can I program higher bit PICs (not just the 8bit series) with PICKIT3 and MCS? I have never done anything but the 8bit style, just wondering.

mark_s
- 11th September 2013, 20:53
I can answer one of your questions. I use the 18F46K80 and this can be programmed with PBP2.60C which is free if you have an earlier version of 2.6.

There is a new line of 16F chips that look pretty slick and you need PBP3. Check out the PIC16F1789 etc.

Regards

wdmagic
- 11th September 2013, 22:11
cool, downloading version c update, I had version b.

Does anyone know if you buy PBP3 Gold, do you get MCS5 for free? I had heard that somewhere I thought?
NOTE: Yes it does, I found it in the Technical Data page of the PBP3 site! Whew.. At least that saves a little cash.

Vett58
- 12th September 2013, 03:11
cool, downloading version c update, I had version b.

Does anyone know if you buy PBP3 Gold, do you get MCS5 for free? I had heard that somewhere I thought?
NOTE: Yes it does, I found it in the Technical Data page of the PBP3 site! Whew.. At least that saves a little cash.

I got the PBP3 Gold package about a year ago . It was the best money spent , worth every penny . Specially with the help and the information on this forum it became the best tool I have .

Archangel
- 13th September 2013, 05:55
I got the PBP3 Gold package about a year ago . It was the best money spent , worth every penny . Specially with the help and the information on this forum it became the best tool I have .
And you get a much more comprehensive book than earlier versions. Better samples.