PDA

View Full Version : pickit3 trouble PLEASE

l_gaminde
- 27th June 2013, 03:06
Im using a pickit3 and it just started having problems it says it programs and verify but when you try to verify it says it 's not correct 16f876

Programming...
Programming/Verify complete

Verifying...
The following memory regions failed to verify correctly
Program Memory
Address: 00000000 Expected Value: 00002914 Received Value: 00000000
Verify failed

l_gaminde
- 27th June 2013, 03:23
Ok tried two different things hold chip in reset program and then verify works, also powering from external power supply works. guess its a USB port problem are there any good usb add in boards that will stop this problem

l_gaminde
- 27th June 2013, 03:33
Well no that did not help it worked for about 4 times now back to the same cannot verify

Jerson
- 27th June 2013, 04:35
Are you having this problem with just this one chip? Have you tried other chips to eliminate the chance of PK3 being bad?

Another thing you can try before you give up on PK3, update the firmware on the PK3.

You will find this in MPLAB->settings->configuration->manual update.

HenrikOlsson
- 27th June 2013, 06:11
Hi,
When I've had issues with PK3's they seem to all have been related to USB power supply issues.
If used on a laptop make sure you have the computer powered by the mains adapter and try another, short, high quality USB cable. Last time I had issues I had two laptops side by side, the PK3 worked fine on one of them but not on the other. Swapped the USB cable to a better one and everything's fine... (No, I was not powering my circuit "thru" the PK3, just the PK3 itself).

If you're using a desktop computer (which it sounds like you are) you could possibly try a powered USB hub.

Not saying this IS the problem but I've run into a couple of times.

/Henrik.

l_gaminde
- 27th June 2013, 15:46
Thanks Henrik and jerson maybe I have found the answer I have code protect on it has never acted this way before but once I turned it off it started working again. I have tried all your suggestions except the cable with intermittent results, I will find another cable hopefully a tad bit longer also.
Thank you both

l_gaminde
- 28th June 2013, 03:17
This is what i ended up doing installing v8.46 from a disk I had and after 15 programming tries it seams to program without errors voltage is still low out of the pickit3 and cannot be adjusted will keep you informed had verion 8.91

l_gaminde
- 30th June 2013, 18:37
After a few days no problems

mehmetOzdemir
- 20th August 2013, 13:36
Hi all,
I tried to program PIC18F1320 with 3 volt(LVP).My programmer is PICKIT 3 which i bought it from Farnell.
I activated the LVP bit on config and connected the PGM pin to PICKIT 3. When i program it with 5 volt, there is no problem, it programs with success, but i want to program it with 3 volt, it allerts " Programming failed at Program Memory address 0x000000".

Is there anybody faced this problem? Or is there any specific thing i have to do about programming pics with low voltage?

Thanks..

l_gaminde
- 20th August 2013, 13:42
do a Google search, there are three resistors that need to be done with wires in the pickit 3

mehmetOzdemir
- 20th August 2013, 14:00
do a Google search, there are three resistors that need to be done with wires in the pickit 3

I found that pdf http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/ETN32_PICkit_3_Operation_at_Low_Voltage.pdf

But all these resistors are also "0" ohms in my programmer.

Yvesmazzon
- 20th February 2016, 15:25
I am getting an error when I use Pickit3. The error is:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Data parameter cannot be longer than 136bytes. Parameter name: Data"

I have the latest Mplab which I reinstall but in vain. If Pickit 3 is not attached on the USB the Pick program come on. If the pickit3 is attached to the USB and start the Pick3 program I get "Pick 3 has stopped working, Windows is checking for solution to the problem"
If I unplug the pickit3 and open the Pickit 3 program then plug the pickt3 unit to the USB then click Tools, Check communication I get the error above. I can see there are a lot of activities on the LED of he Pickit3. The status and active LED flash until the error.
Operating system: Windows 7 64bit, Mplab 8.9
I am pulling my hair and really don't know what else to do. Pleas any leads to resolve the problem. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Yves

Heckler
- 20th February 2016, 22:09
I haven't used the pickit3 but recently my pickit2 program indicated my p2 needed the firmware downloaded again.
so in the Tools menu there is a choice to download pickit2 operating system... that fixed it for me

you might also check over in the microchip forums at microchip.com

good luck

richard
- 20th February 2016, 23:06
looking at your screen shot it appears you are not using the latest pickit3 gui.
try downloading version 3.10 , it fixed my pk3 when it got stuck after a mplabx foul up . the old pk3 gui behaved similar to your problem and never worked again