PDA

View Full Version : How to use this IO chip?

wdmagic
- 30th April 2013, 08:13
I have a box full of "usb1t11am" from fairchild, heres the datasheet link (http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/US/USB1T11A.pdf).
I just dont understand how to hook it up, I thought these were USB to serial interface. I was hoping that I could hook these up to a USB on the computer and it automatically add a com port to PC. Then I use the UART IO on the PIC to send/receive.

If anyone can tell me what pins go where, it doesnt have a good scematic in the datasheet.

HenrikOlsson
- 30th April 2013, 10:28
Hi Chris,
No, that chip is just the physical/electrical interface between a "device" and the USB bus. It doesn't implement any of the USB protocol nor any CDC/VCP stuff. It's to USB what a MAX232 is to asynchronus serial or what a SN75176 is to a RS422 bus - something like that. No intelligence, no protocol stuff, just "electric glue stuff".

Apparently it's meant to be coupled to a FPGA running the Serial Interface Engine in order to implement a complete USB solution. I don't know much about the low level stuff of USB but trying to implement this in PBP sounds pretty much impossible.

/Henrik.

wdmagic
- 30th April 2013, 19:06
Dang, ok well thanks for the info. thought it must be to good to be true.