PDA

View Full Version : Diference between PK3 and production programmer

pedja089
- 7th April 2013, 22:20
Hi,

I bought an PICkit 3 few years ago. And now for the first time I see note: The PICkit 3 In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer is NOT a production programmer. It should be used for development purposes only.
I used for low volume production programming.
What difference is between PK3 3 and some production programer? Every PIC programmed with PK3 3 works for years without any problem.
Why I shouldn't use PK3 as production programmer?

Ioannis
- 8th April 2013, 07:55
Well, I really do not know. I have PK2, PK3, ICD3 and an Elnec PikProg+ and using all of them. All are working great either for development or for production.

The only difference I see is the price!

Oh, and the speed of the the Elnec, being ... slower although a production programmer...:eek:

Ioannis

HenrikOlsson
- 8th April 2013, 08:17
Hi,
Of course there can be no difference in "quality" of actually programming the part, either it gets the device programmed or it doesn't.
I guess what they mean is that the hardware and software may not be suited for automated programming or gang-programming in a "real" production environment doing thousands and thousands of "cycles" per day. If you're doing "bench production" I'm sure it works just fine. After all, the PTG-function is quite nice for repetitive flashing of the same firmware (it's just too bad that the PK can't be powered from the target when using it).

/Henrik.

Ioannis
- 8th April 2013, 08:38
Now that I come to think more about it, the PK has this cheap pin head connector, that I suppose it may have a shorter life that other types of connections.

On my Elnec, I use the ISP connector with a spring type needles to get in contact with PCB pads of the ICSP connections. These needles have very sharp ends and make very good contact with the pcb. And they are easy to change with spares. You just pull them out and replace with new ones.

Unfortunately I do not know the english term to help you find them. I got them from the local market.

Also made an adapter and use this needles with PK2, 3 or ICD3.

Ioannis

HenrikOlsson
- 8th April 2013, 09:17
They're usually called Pogo-pins.

/Henrik.

Ioannis
- 8th April 2013, 09:34
Thnaks Henrik. It was impossible to find this! Strange word...

Ioannis

pedja089
- 8th April 2013, 11:35
Thanks...
But microchip local distributor try to convince me that data in PIC flash stay valid only about year or so when programmed with PK. But when is programmed with with "real production programmer" it stays for decades :confused:
Programing header is very easy to change, so for me that isn't problem.

Ioannis
- 8th April 2013, 11:47
Hey, come on. Don't tell me that you believe these crap?

As Henrik posted, either it programmed or did not programmed correctly. What is this ... volatility of the code?

Yeah, OK, code is like alchohol. It just evaporates after a while...

Ioannis

pedja089
- 8th April 2013, 12:01
I don't believe... I have pic's that is running for years. I tried to point that to him, but...
I was just wondering what is your opinion on that.

HenrikOlsson
- 8th April 2013, 12:53
That's "interesting" but sounds like b-s to me, ask him to provide some sort of "official" documentation on the matter, I'd like to read it. And/or ask Microchip directly and refer then to said distributor. I'd be very surprised of it's true.

/Henrik.

Demon
- 8th April 2013, 13:17
Yeah, OK, code is like alchohol. It just evaporates after a while...

Ioannis

Nah, I think it's the conductive pathways within the PIC that run out of electrons. :)

Rbrt (ran out of vowels)

mackrackit
- 8th April 2013, 14:44
And I have some beach front property in Arizona for sale. Lots of sand....