PDA

View Full Version : HIDmaker, any good?

Mark Scotford
- 6th May 2005, 12:00
I need to go over to USB from RS-232, would anybody who has used "HIDmaker", care to share their opinions on this software, like is it worth the money (more than PicBasic).

EDWARD
- 7th May 2005, 09:08
sup dude. do u just want to be able to use your rs-232 programmer to hook up to your laptop er somthing? cause i think all you need is a USB to RS232 adaptor. i got mine here.

http://www.cippsites.com/Merchant4/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=USB232&Category_Code=components&Store_Code=melabs

im sure many places has these. just make sure u dont get one designed for a pda cause those dont always work. i use that cable and the ICSP programmer from that company.

or

do you need to send serial data from the pic to a usb device?

scorpion
- 9th May 2005, 21:34
I have hidmaker, and I just got my boards in. I will let you know when i try it out.

JEC
- 12th May 2005, 01:14
I've got a copy & heartily recommend it. It's a bargain at twice the price.

John

Bruce
- 12th May 2005, 01:24
Hi John,

How is it on generating the PC side source code?

I'm looking at getting this one myself.

JEC
- 12th May 2005, 02:30
*blushes*

Y'know, I haven't actually needed the PC-side code yet. Both of my first projects are keyboard emulators and as such, they use the built-in HID drivers.

That being said, I did snag a copy of VB to use for testing. I just haven't needed it yet. If you send me a rough project idea, I'll send you back a copy of the PC code. I believe you can choose between VB, HiTech C, and something else.

What I won't share, out of respect for the folks who created the software in the first place, is the PIC code.

I've spent the better part of a year trolling around the USB-IF forums and reading their associated documents. Jan's (excellent) book is a must-read.

I tried writing out my descriptors by hand and was surprised to see how many little things I missed when I compared the output to HIDMaker.

It's (now) amusing to read through the Microchip USB forums... Many of the problems people are facing now can be solved quickly and automagically with HIDMaker.

Unfortunately, PBP is for wimps because real engineers write their code barefoot in hex uphill during a blizzard.

*grin*

John

Bruce
- 12th May 2005, 05:12
I'll be needing it for quite a few various applications. I was just looking for
some feedback from anyone that's currently using it. The Visual Data
Designer looks interesting.

Unfortunately, PBP is for wimps because real engineers write their code barefoot in hex uphill during a blizzard.
That's what I hear, but I know more than one "BASIC" programmer dropping
7-digit numbers in thier bank accounts each year. They seem to be handling
the shame pretty well....;o]

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll just dive in & grab a copy to play with. I have
a ton of USB apps to work on.