PDA

View Full Version : Lcd On Porta And Portb

EDWARD
- 4th May 2005, 09:23
I am ICSP programming a board with a 16f73 and 14 pin lcd among other devices. For some weird reason the developer of the board,whom i do not know, has put D7, D6, D5, D4 of the LCD to PINS PORTA.0, PORTA.1, PORTA.2, PORTB.3 on the 16f73 repectivley. yes i said PORTB.3 not PORTA.3. Its seems that the pins for the LCD are connected in reverse and not all on the same port.
the last bit of information you should know is that there is a 256 eeprom chip connected serially to PORTB.1 AND PORTB.2.

thus far LCDOUT has been unsucessful
i have read tons of forums before posting

CAN ANY OF you invision a work around?

things to consider.

i would like to use the LCDOUT command.

will using the eeprom to drive the LCD be an option? i.e load bytes from eeprom to the ports registers.

can i somehow make portB.3 do exactly what portA.3 does?

'----------------------------------------the hardware\defs i have
E is portC.1
rs is portC.0
R/W is grounded (write mode)
Data0 to Data3 is not used
I am in HS mode
14 pin 2x8 lcd

define LCD_DREG PORTA
define LCD_DBIT 0
define LCD_RSREG PORTC
define LCD_RSBIT 0
DEFINE LCD_EREG PORTC
DEFINE LCD_EBIT 1
define LCD_BITS 4
DEFINE LCD_LINES 2
DEFINE LCD_COMMANDUS 2000
DEFINE LCD_DATAUS 50

'holla

NavMicroSystems
- 4th May 2005, 10:22
EDWARD,

there is no need to post the very same question in two different categories.

see here (http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1674)

and please have a look at this (http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=7427&postcount=2)

G8RPI
- 4th May 2005, 12:50
Hi Edward,
all the data bits must be on one port to use LCDOUT command.

Regards,
Robert G8RPI.

EDWARD
- 4th May 2005, 22:52
I DIDNT realize i was in the pbc forum and not the pbp forum dude.

g8rpi, i knew that was the case, as much i hoped it wasnt. thxs for the help though. how does the LCDOUT work, i mean is it just sending serial data to each of the 4 data lines used on the lcd + the control bits? is it ASCII code? i was hoping i could call a byte of data from the eeprom , sort of like a sequencer that can have defined ports. i need porta.0 porta.1 porta.2 portB.3 to be the 4 data lines to the lcd.

basically can i use 4 byte long variables to drive the data lines on the lcd?

thanks for your time

NavMicroSystems
- 4th May 2005, 23:14
I DIDNT realize i was in the pbc forum and not the pbp forum dude.Then you should have deleted your post in the PBC section before posting here.
Now you are getting responses to the same question in two different categories and it is hard for all members to keep track of the discussion.

..LCDOUT
The fastest way would be to cross the wires of B3 and A3 and use the built in Routines.

EDWARD
- 5th May 2005, 05:53
*DONT REPLY
people do due the mass confusion u all seem to be having DO NOT REPLY TO THIS FORM. please go to the pic basic compiler (non-pro edition) forum if you can help
sry i wanted this to be in the picBasic PRo section, thats what i have, not the other one but too many people started adding to it so as John lennon said Let It Be.

*DONT REPLY

*DONT REPLY