PDA

View Full Version : Certification

Demon
- 19th March 2012, 04:32
A few of us are going to hit this wall one day, might as well get prepared for the harsh reality.

What would be the certifications required for a 5 vdc device using:
- PC power supply.
- wall adapter.(mentionned both in case there's a difference)

And then is there something concerning USB other than the glorified USB certification (personally I couldn't care less, I'm going to isolate the signal and not use the power)?

And then wired communication with another device, is there a difference depending on protocol used (RS232, I2C, etc)?

My primary interest is Canada, but USA would also be of interest to me and most likely others. I remember a Melanie thread about Europe, but that seemed like a can of worms.

Robert

dhouston
- 19th March 2012, 11:22
Unless you are using wireless, there's little need to worry. Most wall transformers, etc. have UL/CE labels. I really don't understand you question as regards USB.

I already gave you a link to FCC Part 15 in another thread. Canada follows pretty much the same rules.

Europe allows far more transmit power but has stricter rules on frequency tolerances. Australia allows even more transmit power than Europe. Of course, much depends on specific applications, frequencies, etc. I'm generalizing about the ISM bands.

All transmitters require testing at FCC approved labs (probably owned by FCC commissioner relatives?) and fees are very high. Superhet receivers can be self-tested/certified but you are supposed to maintain records and the test equipment cost will tell you why the commissioners' relatives charge so much.

Radiometrix in the UK has links to rules for many countries (http://www.radiometrix.com/content/regulatory-information) on their website. They used to have a chart showing differences in transmit power but I'll have to check my notes for the URL.

rsocor01
- 19th March 2012, 12:38
Robert,

I'm not an expert on this by any means but here is what I can say. If you use a PC power supply, a wall adapter, or even the power from a USB port then you might need to get a UL certification (here in the US). If your product melts down on someone's lap, then you might get sued. Getting a UL certification can be very expensive, but determinig when you really need to get your product certified is something that you should consult with a real expert.

Also, if your product has any source of wireless emission (RF) you need your product to be FCC compliant or might get fined. This is also very expensive.

Robert

Demon
- 19th March 2012, 17:07
My aim is to keep this thread generalized to help others that plan to market "something", with just about anything relating with certification.

My own application will not have wireless, so no FCC problems there.

About the USB certification, I meant the "official" USB seal:
http://www.usb.org/developers/wusb/testing

About for nuking someone's lap, a 5A fast fuse definitely couldn't hurt.

If you use a PC power supply, a wall adapter, or even the power from a USB port then you might need to get a UL certification (here in the US).
That's what I'm afraid of, and probably the Canuck equivalent over here too.

What about batterry-powered?

Robert

Demon
- 19th March 2012, 17:16
Was browsing around CSA Canada and found this for Information Technology Equipment. I'm not quite sure where my devices would qualify, but since they are basically keyboards, I suppose that puts them close to IT.

http://shop.csa.ca/en/canada/it-telecom-and-audio-video-equipment/cancsa-c222-no-60950-1-07/invt/27017782007/&bklist=icat,6,shop,publications,electrical,consume rcommerical,ittelecomaudio

PDF (CAD $693.00)

Ouch. I can easily see this get expensive mighty quick.

Edit:

This standard is also applicable to components and subassemblies intended for incorporation in information technology equipment. It is not expected that such components and subassemblies comply with every aspect of the standard, provided that the complete information technology equipment, incorporating such components and subassemblies, does comply.

Gotta love vague aspects of regulations. If my device does not comply with all aspects of the standard, how can the PC and my device together comply to all standards?

EDIT SOME MORE: So I emailed them, I expect a redirection to some obscure department that won't consider a poor schmuck like me worth their trouble. :D Or I could get lucky.